minicad 7 (mac) to VW 11 (win)

ex99125b

Question

Forgive me if this is the wrong forum. I have several (under 15) mincad 7 files on my iMac that I need send to a friend that used Vectorworks 11 on Win XP. I have tried exprting DWG and DXF files but with mixed results. So that leads me to my central question: how do I do it? Will minicad 7(mac) files open directly into Vectorworks 11 (mac)? and if so will those files be cross platform and open in VW11(Win)?

Are there people out there who will do this?

Thanks for any help you can give me

6 answers to this question

VW 11 will export to VW10, VW9, and VW8. I assume that importing will be the same. Therefore VW11 will not open MC7.

You will need to open MC7 files in a lower version such as VW8, VW9, or perhaps, VW10. Save the file in that version and then open the file in VW11.

VW files will open on either Mac or PC.

I believe VectorWorks 12 reads versions 5 though 12. I haven't verified that though. If not: this utility from the downloads page will help:

"A translation utility for users who need to move files from older MiniCAD formats to VectorWorks 9 format. Supports translation of MiniCAD Versions 6-8 documents. Requires VectorWorks 9 and AppleScript. Instructions included.

[MAC] VW_Translator_9.hqx"

Thanks for your replies. I think I wasnt clear in my explanation. I have Minicad 7 running on my mac, I do not have any other version of Minicad or VW. The translator mentioned above only works if VW9 is present on the system where the translations are to occur and only then if its a Mac. The system which I need to get my files to ia VW11 running on XP.

again thanks

BRILLIANT!

you guys rock!, appending .mcd to the files worked like a champ. The file transfer via ftp between my mac and my PC proved to be a little finicky but after a few tries I had a file that would translate. My buddy brought his laptop over and we transferred the file from my PC to his and his VW11 opened the file up perfectly. I cant thank you enough.

And MikeM oz...thank you very much, I got it working

ex