Export/Import of sheets with viewports

Rosebud Studios

Question

I had my first request for .dwg files to be sent to a AutoCad user. I imported the file back into VectorWorks to check it for content and one viewport came in at a different scale and cropped. Is it not possible to export a sheet with viewports?

I ended up exporting from the design layers, but I would much rather use the final sheets with vps. Is this possible?

Ed

4 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

>Is it not possible to export a sheet with viewports?

Yes, it is possible; You can export a single VW Sheet with viewports if your current layer before the process of export is a Sheet layer. VW collects and exports all the info necessary to preserve the view in the Sheet layer & viewports. The idea to export from a sheet layer in general is to preserve the look so in some cases additional blocks for 2D and 3D info will be created, cropping of the viewports will be added etc.

If your current layer before export is a Design layer then only the design layers will be exported.

The result from both types of export is always different and it is up to the user to decide what/from where to export.

>and one viewport came in at a different scale

This sounds strange to me. If you think it is a bug you could e-mail the .mcd doc directly to me.

Nina Ivanova

Software Development

Nemetschek BG

nivanova@nemetschek.bg

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

>When I exported a drawing sheet with viewports it seemed the design layer also got exported. Is this how it works?

Yes.

>Is it not possible to export the sheet as it looks on the screen? I didn't really want to export the design layer.

You could convert viewports to groups and to export from the sheet layer - as a result all the objects from the sheet layer will be exported to an Acad layout (Paper space) and Acad's Model space will remain empty.

Nina Ivanova

Software Development

Nemetschek BG

nivanova@nemetschek.bg

I'm also having a problem with exporting to DWG a Vectorworks 11 drawing with a lot of viewports. The dimensions bounce down below the border and some of the drawing that I've done in the annotations window has disappeared entirely.

I tried exporting to dwg and then reimporting it into Vectorworks and the same thing happens.

Hello? Anyone there?

[ 11-18-2005, 09:40 AM: Message edited by: donp17 ]