Exporting dwg files to Autocad

Grantadesign

Question

When I export dwg files (on widows xp) the receiver can open the vw dwg file without any problem, they can also cut and paste the drawn info in that file but when they open a new autocad file they cannot cut and paste any worthwhile amount of info from 1st file into the new one, only small chunks.

Any suggestions but please bear in mind the receiver has already told that memory is not a problem their end.

Thanks in anticipation

3 answers to this question

There shouldn't be any problem, unless maybe your files have a lot of high level objects that are confusing Autocad for some reason I can't think of. You might try it with a file that's all lines and polylines to see if that makes a difference.

Autocad sometimes pastes in ways that you can't tell it happened. It doesn't leave the pasted stuff selected, and anyway I don't think it has a Zoom to Selected Objects command. It helps to use Autocad's "Copy with Base Point" command instead of the standard "Copy" (to clipboard) commmand, so that you have to tell it where to paste to.

And of course there are all the usual issues of layers being turned off, and symbols ("blocks") already defined as something else in the target file, and pasting into a differently scaled environment so that the pasted things are too large or too small to see.

quote:

Originally posted by Grantadesign:

...but when they open a new autocad file they cannot cut and paste any worthwhile amount of info from 1st file into the new one, only small chunks....

Can you submit a bug report for this, and include both the VectorWorks and DWG files?