errors importing DWG files

P Bartoli

Question

I have imported a DWG file into VW 11 and get a strange result: the drawings is full of "hairy lines" that don't belong to the original drawing for sure.

I double checked the DWG, that imported fine in another CAD application.

BTW, I wish to show you what I see on my monitor, but don't know how to attach images to this message: is it possible?

Paolo,

I think your criticism is unfair, especially in the comparison to competitors.

The problem you're having is not in the way VectorWorks does its own work, but only in the way it offers compatibility with certain versions of a competing product. The competitor in this case doesn't provide any compatibility at all, and in fact seems to work actively against it.

quote:

Originally posted by jan15:

Paolo,

I think your criticism is unfair, especially in the comparison to competitors.

The problem you're having is not in the way VectorWorks does its own work, but only in the way it offers compatibility with certain versions of a competing product. The competitor in this case doesn't provide any compatibility at all, and in fact seems to work actively against it.

I don't think it's unfair. Every app has its high and low.

As a matter of fact I tried to open the ACAD 2000 dwg (with spline) with VW and another CAD app which I won't cite. The other CAD opened the file without problems... without those airy lines.

quote:

Originally posted by jan15:

The competitor in this case doesn't provide any compatibility at all, and in fact seems to work actively against it.

BTW the competitor is Autocad 2000, the one who sets the standard!

In my vision, VW, like most other CAD app should provide compatibility to the standard.

Someone seems to do it better: point.

Again, unfair.

Yes, there should be compatibility with the standard, but that compatibility is far from the most important concern, and the bug you wrote about is a minor one even with regard to compatibility. In general VectorWorks has excellent compatibility with DWG format.

The problem you reported is extremely rare, involving DWG files from one particular source. No application is completely free of bugs. The other CAD app which you won't cite may have done better than VectorWorks in this instance, but that's just luck. There are certainly instances where the other app would not successfully import an aberrant DWG file but VectorWorks would.

Paolo - interchange of data between different programs is always an issue, and this doesn't only apply to CADD programs.

STEP is the open standard which should be used for data exchange, but unfortunately it is not supported by most CADD programs yet.

http://cic.vtt.fi/links/step.html

http://www.steptools.com/support/stdev_docs/about_step.html

DWG has become the default exchange standard only because it was the first mainstream CAD program. It is far from perfect however because:

- It is not an open standard (and there is very little likelihood of it becoming so).

- It does not support everything that other programs can do.

For a standard to be effective it needs to be capable of supporting all program capabilities and not just one. Hopefully STEP will get there soon, but until then we have to live with the limitations of DWG

The current DWG translator works very well, but occassionally there are a few issues. Often though this is because of what has been done or not done at the originator's end.

Back to your 'hairy lines' issue:

- You can easily turn the Snap to Loci preference off so you don't see the 'hairy lines'

- Alternatively you can use the Vectorbits "Optimise Drawing' routine to delete all of the loci in the drawing.