Viewport FAQ

Viewports Frequently Asked Questions

What are viewports?

When a drawing is complete, it typically needs to be presented to a client with views from several directions, complete with details, annotations, and dimensions. In VectorWorks, this is accomplished by creating objects called viewports.

Viewports can display entire drawings as well as cropped views of a drawing, with specified layer and class visibility settings, scale, projection, rendering mode, and view parameters. If the drawing changes, viewports can be easily updated to reflect the changes. Viewports may only be placed on sheet layers.

What are sheet layers?

Sheet layers are created for the presentation of a finalized drawing. Sheet layers can contain viewports, title blocks, notes, and other annotations. A sheet layer is analogous to a sheet of paper. Each sheet layer maintains its own page size and printer setup information. Sheet layers are always in Top/Plan view, at a 1:1 scale, and are always in ?Active Only? mode.

What are design layers?

Design layers are functionally the same as the layers that existed prior to VectorWorks 11. This is where the model is created. They?ve been renamed to clarify their purpose as a design space, and to differentiate them from sheet layers.

What is a model?

A model is the geometry and data that represent a real world object, such as a building. A model may be a 2D plan drawing, or it may be a full 3D representation of a house. A model may also include data such as the kind of windows and doors that will be used.

When should I use a sheet layer and when should I use a design layer?

VectorWorks uses two types of layers: designs layers and sheet layers. Design layers are used for modeling. Design layers are the working space where the 2D or 3D model is created. Sheet layers are for presentation. Sheet layers contain viewports of the model as well as title blocks and other presentation only graphics.

Why does VectorWorks need two kinds of layers?

The combination of sheet layers and design layers provides a more streamlined CAD environment where presentation tasks can be completed with superior control over the finalized look, while at the same time design layers provide an environment where the model can freely evolve without being constrained by how it may be presented to the client.

Why can?t I put a viewport on a design layer?

Viewports are intended as a tool for presenting the model. The model is made up of the drawing data contained on the design layers. Therefore, viewports are placed on sheet layers to prevent cyclical references.

Do I need to convert my old drawings to use sheet layers and viewports?

No, there is no need to change the organization of old drawings when importing documents into VectorWorks 11. There are two name changes you should be aware of though. Layers are now known as design layers, and saved sheets are now known as saved views. These names were changed to accommodate the addition of sheet layers and to better reflect their intended use. Design layers and saved views are completely compatible with their previous versions and VectorWorks 11 is one hundred percent compatible with the workflows of prior versions.

Do I need to set the scale in the design layer or should I always use 1:1 and scale the model in the viewport?

While you can always change the scale of your model in the viewport, we still recommend that you set the scale of your design layer to the most likely printed scale. This will ensure that VectorWorks page based objects like text, dimensions, image fills, and some hatches will display correctly.

Do I still need to use layer links or the model view tool to assemble a multiple story building?

No, viewports automatically assemble layers at their proper heights, so layer links and/or the model view tool are not required for displaying a multi-story / multi-layer building in a viewport.

Do viewports and sheet layers improve DXF compatibility?

Yes, viewports and sheet layers greatly enhance VectorWorks-AutoCAD compatibility, by providing a more consistent mapping to the AutoCAD concepts of viewports and paper space.

How do I create a sheet layer?

Select Organize > Layers to open the Layers Dialog, then select the Sheet tab and click the New button. Note that creating a viewport will automatically create a sheet layer if there are no sheet layers in the document.

How do I create a viewport?

To create a viewport select View > Create Viewport and set the desired settings in the Create Viewport dialog box. For convenience the viewport settings are initially set to the current view, visibility, and rendering settings.

To create additional viewports on a sheet layer, simply duplicate an existing viewport.

How do I create a cropped viewport?

From a design layer, a cropped viewport can be created by simply placing a 2D object (such as a rectangle, ellipse, polyline, etc.) in the design layer to define the viewport bounds. Select the 2D object and then select View > Create Viewport.

From a sheet layer a cropped viewport can be created from an uncropped viewport by creating a 2D object to define the crop bounds, and selecting both the crop object and the viewport before selecting View > Create Viewport.

How do I edit a viewport?

The viewport properties (such as the layer visibilities, class visibilities, scale, view, render mode, etc) are all available for edit on the object info palette.

The geometry of a viewport, which includes the crop object, annotations, and the layers that make up the viewport, can be accessed through the Edit Viewport dialog box which is opened by selecting the viewport and selecting Organize > Edit Viewport. For convenience, double clicking a viewport also opens the Edit Viewport dialog box.

How do I resize viewports?

For uncropped viewports, size is determined by the viewport scale which can be set on the object info palette.

For cropped viewports, size is determined by the crop object. To resize the crop object simply double click the viewport, select Crop in the Edit Viewport dialog box, and resize the crop object using the 2D cursor.

Can I dimension objects in the viewports scale?

Yes, double click the viewport and select Annotations in the Edit Viewport dialog box. Note that you can snap to the model geometry and the dimensions are drawn using the viewports scale.

How do I change the view in a viewport?

Standard views can be set using the viewports View menu on the Object Info palette. Custom views can be set by double clicking the viewport, and selecting Crop in the Edit Viewport dialog box. From the edit crop mode the Flyover tool and the Walkthrough tool can be used to set a custom view.

Can I edit the model in a viewport?

No, you can not directly edit the model in a viewport, but you can easily navigate from a viewport to the design layers contained in the viewport by double clicking the viewport to enter the Edit Viewport dialog and selecting a design layer from the drop down list of design layers used in a viewport.

How do I change the perspective crop of a viewport?

When you create a viewport from a perspective view, the viewport?s bounds are set to match the perspective crop. To change the crop double click the viewport and select Crop in the Edit Viewport dialog box. In edit crop mode, add a crop by creating a 2D object. The perspective crop is now the same as the viewport crop.

How do I center the viewport in the perspective crop rectangle?

Double click the viewport and select Crop in the Edit Viewport dialog box. Double click on the Translate View tool. This will center the model in the viewport.

How can you see the viewport rendering while editing a viewport?

Double click the rendered viewport to bring up the Edit Viewport dialog box. Now check the Display Viewport Cache check box, and click OK. This will let you see the rendered image as you edit the crop or annotations.

How do I make the crop invisible?

Double click the viewport and select Crop in the Edit Viewport dialog box. Select the crop object, and set the pen style to None in the attribute palette.

When should I use the advanced properties of a viewport?

Advanced properties are typically used on viewports where the viewport scale is larger or smaller than the original layer scale. Use the advanced viewport properties to change the scale for the following page based objects: line weights, arrowheads, dashed lines, hatches and text. The scale factor applies only to objects on the referenced layers of a viewport.

When I change the model on the design layers, do the dimensions in the viewport annotations update?

No, when you adjust objects in the design layer, the dimensions placed in the viewport annotations do not automatically update.

What is the purpose of Project 2D Objects?

The Project 2D Objects checkbox, found on the viewports object info palette, is used to display 2D objects in a viewport with a view other than Top/Plan.

Can I use a polyline with a hole as a crop object?

Yes, a polyline with a hole can be a crop object. The design layers will not show in the hole, just in the surrounding poly.