Lights do not light

sebflu

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Instruments do not produce light in a rendered view. You can visualize the beam in 2D and 3D by checking "Draw Beam" on the Lighting Device. See the "Focusing Instruments" section in the Spotlight manual for more details.

If you want to use lights to see shadows etc. you will have to add regular VectorWorks lights or use the Gobo Projector.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the tips. I did it all. In the meantime I got some surprising information. I use Vectorworks Spotlight together with Cinema4D Special Edition not Renderworks. With this setup there is no transfer from light from instruments to Cinema4D - only the model an "regular" lights.

I blame Nemetschek/Computerworks and Maxon for providing wrong information about there products. Vectorworks Spotlight's key feature is drawing lightmaps and putting out simulation at the same time - it works with the standard Renderworks. It doesn't work with Cinema4D Special Edition - it is rip off.

• 3 weeks later...

sebflu

It's not clear what you are trying to do. I for one have been using the Cinema plug in for the last 8 months and I have made thousands of dollars off this system. I feel that Maxon and NNA sold me exactly what thay advertised.

Please note that the plug in was written to support Vectorworks, and not necessarily the add on product Spotlight. For me, Spotlight's an invaluable tool for getting my lighting plots done. If you could be clear about what you expect to accomplish perhaps we could help.