Network Users Configuration

Ken Rogers

Question

We are a VW site with 24 seats currently running VW Architect 12 rev 1.

Our network is a Window network controlled by a Network Server/Domain Controller running Small Back Office Server 2000. All local machines run XP Professional OS. I have the user permissions screwed down pretty tightly, in that amongst other things local machine registries cannot be modified by users. This is a safety measure to prevent software being installed or executable files being run that have not been approved by me as network administrator. We operate roaming profiles, so that any user can use any machine on the network (either in our Midlands or London offices linked via ADSL VPN) and they automatically have their own desktop and application settings. In the case of the VectorWorks application I edit the security settings in the registry which allows full access to the application files by all users. This means that whatever machine a user is logged into, when accessing VectorWorks they access the local machine licence number which relates to the local machine dongle. We have an office standard workspace and also standard templates for A1 & A3 drawings for a range of scales and these are copied off the server in the relevant folders in the VW program directory folder. So far so good, now read on!

The main issue is the setting of preferences after installation of the software. For each machine I set the preferences as administrator. I then get each user to log on and edit the same settings all over again for them. When you have done this 24 times you get a bit punch drunk. I am not sure where the various preference settings are held, whether on a data file or in the registry.

To give you the complete picture, the VW CD has been downloaded onto the server, and I run the install across the network, which appears to run very happily. However during an extensive trawl through the various places where bits of the VW application live I have come across the install file which indicated :-

*** Installation Started 01/20/2006 14:09 ***

Title: VectorWorks System Support

Source: D:\Support\WINSYS~4.EXE | 10-19-2005 | 16:49:08 | 946147

Date/Time: Following file not copied.

File Copy: C:\WINDOWS\system32\MFC71.dll

File Copy: C:\WINDOWS\system32\msvcp71.dll

File Copy: C:\WINDOWS\system32\msvcr71.dll

Does this have any significance, and can the relevant files be copied over to C:\windows\system32 directory manually?

It does occur to me that I could write an msi file, but I need to know when the settings are kept so I know which files to copy across and what permissions to set.

Any advice and/or suggestions will be welcomed.

Ken Rogers

IT Manager

Horsley Huber Architects Ltd (UK)

1 answer to this question

The preferences are stored in the Registry. If the user's can't be assigned a power user ability, then they will at least need read/write permissions to the following registry keys:

Hkey Current User > Software > Nemetschek (the whole folder)

Hkey Local Machine > Software > Nemetschek (the whole folder)