12.0.1 Import SketchUp

not4const

Question

The 12.0.1 patch for VW 12 Architect-WIN is supposed to give you another Import option, FILE>IMPORT>IMPORT SKETCHUP (according to the Sketchup information PDF file). I haven't been able to find that option. I mentioned this to Tech Support at NNA last week, but still no response. Is anyone else having this problem?

15 answers to this question

Yes, I installed the plug-in before I checked the File>Import Menu. So, apparently you are having the same problem on the MAC. Import SketchUp is a relatively minor issue. I just hate it when the current documentation and the software aren't on the same page. Isn't marketing great!

I installed the plugin. There is a pdf file with instructions at the SketchUp website on the precedure for importing Sketchup files.

The last step of installing the plugin is adding the import sketchup tool to your workspace.

While you're there checkout the thriving user community and how involved the SketchUp people are in the user forums. It would be nice if nemetschek were half as involved.

The tech request forms get answered, it just takes 1-2 weeks.

-new vectorworks user, 12.0.1

mlau, as you can tell, I am a new VW user, too. Thank you for your help. I had no idea these plug-ins had to be manually configured into the workspace. It looks like the workspace editor will play a major role in customization. I'll visit the SketchUp website tomorrow. Again, thanks.

The final step with plug-ins (Artlantis Export, Cinema 4D Export), is to use the Workspace Editor to add it to the desired workspace(s). Editing a Copy of the desired workspace protects the original in case of a problem after editing. When upgrading to a new version of VW, save these editied workspaces to a different location or they will be overwritten during the upgrade. Put them in the VW Plug In folder after the upgrade is complete.

George

Hello George,

You are correct about them needing to be added to the workspace templates. I had to do this when VW 12 was just released ahead of when the SketchUp Plug-In was released. Thanks for mentioning it because I had totally forgotten about having to make that step.

I think in this case, what has been confusing is how the Update is mentioned as having the Plug-In as part of the upgrade. It might be there, but if the template has been modified in any way it might not over write the template file on the computer with the one in the Update, thus leaving out the template reference link the template needs making it impossible to find for a user who doesn't understand why it might not show up.

For certain it won't be changing any existing worksheets so those might also need to the step you mention if they aren't using a default and original template.

This was a good insight George!

Roger,

When I enter the workspace editor, the Sketchup Import menu Plugin is in the Commands List just after Palettes. Clicking on the + exposes the Import Sketchup command which can then be dragged to the location of your choice in the right hand pane.

I would have expected to find it under the Import/Export list. The installer placed it in the main list instead.

(VW 12.0.1)

George

Where you found the SketchUp Plug-In is the same place that the PDF file mentions it would be found so that it could then be added to the "File -> Import/Export ->" menu structure.

When I went looking for it the first time, I found it under the SketchUp Plug-In section. After your message arrived I also found it under "All Menus" but not under "Import/Export" commands.

I'm not sure why this has turned out to be so confusing, but it might be happening by evolution over the decisions on how this should be presented to users.

[ 03-05-2006, 05:45 PM: Message edited by: Roger... ]

I agree this has been confusing. What I find more worrisome is that this SU-Plug-In doesn't work as well as using the DWG/DXF option. Clearly NNA missed something along the way when this was created and will probably look at fixing the Plug-In if enough people cry about it. Still, it is great to see some support for my favorite 3D tool.

mlau answered my problem with his post of 03/03/2006. And in all fairness to VW, if I had read the VW help file "Menu command plug-ins" that would have addressed my concerns, too.

(From The VW Help File)

"Working with Menu Commands"

Adding a Menu Command to a Workspace:

Once a menu command has been created, it will need to be added to one or more workspaces to be available for use with VectorWorks. Once the command is added to the workspace, it will immediately be available for use in the current VectorWorks session.

To add a menu command to a VectorWorks workspace:

1. Select Tools > Workspaces > Workspace Editor.

2. In the list of available menu commands in the Workspace Editor, look for the category that was assigned to the menu command. Click the disclosure triangle (Macintosh) or plus sign (Windows) to display the available items in the category.

3. Click and drag the menu command to the desired location in the workspace menu structure. If desired, add a key equivalent for the menu command.

4. Click OK to save the workspace with the added menu command item.

My experience with these Import/Export plug-ins has been with C4D & Artlantis. They are not as complete as the creators make them sound. If you intend to render with C4D or artlantis, you must give a lot of thought to your class structure in VW to have the desired material control after export. The 1st VW-C4D Export plug-in was almost useless, the 2nd is better. The other problem is that, when the programs release new versions, the old plug-ins need to be rewritten.

George

I'm having trouble importing SketchUp files (5 or 6).

Running in Rosetta or not, no matter what, I never get a dialog box to choose a file. I edited the workspace, installed the plug-in, etc.

Designer 12 says I have to be running in Rosetta, but the VW site says:

VectorWorks 12.5.2 List of Fixes & Improvements

Added support to alert users on an Intel Macintosh that the SketchUp Import plug-in can only be used on a PowerPC Macintosh.

Which is it?

The note is essentially saying the same thing, just now in VW 12.5.2 an error message pops up letting you know you can't run it natively on an intel mac.

First make sure you have set VectorWorks to run in Rosetta.

Second, ensure you have SketchUp version 5 file.

With those two criteria met, you should be able to import the SketchUp file.

If you are unable to, please contact tech support.