VW 12 onto Dell Precision M70

stevenson

Question

I have tried unsuccessfully to install VW12 (education edition - B series) on to a Dell Precision M70 mobile workstation (2.26GHz, 2 Gb RAM) running XP 2002 SP2 with all unnecessary startups disabled and no other apps running. It has worked on another machine running XP SP2, and a Mac running Tiger, so the CDs are OK.

Following the initial dialogue boxes, including the serial number screen, the first cd proceeds and the installer asks for CD2. On insertion, the cd opens, but no new progress box appears - I have now waited several hours. Every time I eject the CD, the installer (presumably) asks for it to be re-inserted. There is no drive activity.

This is a fast machine, with lots of memory and disk space, no fragmentation, and few background processes. It is usable, and all resources are available.

Is this a known problem, and is there a fix?

stevenson

4 answers to this question

I had exactly the same problem on my Dell Dimension 8400. We have several seats, the upgrade installed fine on two computers, it would not install on this (brand new) 8400. More than likely it is the CD Drive, we own 6 Dells, the CD drives are always the weak point (I guess that's why they throw them in for free). I downloaded a demo copy of a "virtual drive" program, transfered the cd's to my hard drive, installed without any problems.

If you do this I would also recommend making a drive image right away.