Program increase Mac OS 9.2.2 to OSX?

Mary C

Question

We have installed the new VW 11.5 on our mac os 9.2.2 with Architect and have noticed the a huge decrease in speed. I have read that this seems pretty normal, but we're wondering if changing our OS to X from 9.2.2 would really make a difference?

3 answers to this question

I am assuming you have a fairly old computer if you are running 9.2.2, I would not install OSX it will more then likely slow your computer down as it uses a fair bit more resources.

Your best bet is to buy a new machine, but I would wait until the end of September as some new models/revisions of the Macs could possibly be release soon.

I'd go for a 2GHz iMac with 1GB of ram or even the 2.2GHz one (but I would wait until end of September). You are better off buying the more powerful computers as they will last a lot longer (speed wise). e.g. Compare an iMac G4 to a PowerMac G4 running OSX with VectorWorks 11.5 the iMac is rather slow whereas the PowerMac is still up there.

(That?s my personal opinion/experience anyway)

There have been past discussions about OS9 being faster than OSX. Therefore, your upgrading to OSX would be counter-productive.

I have to agree with "disdain". Upgrade your computer and OS. I have one computer running OS9 which I only do to keep some legacy software. Using it is like going back to the stone age.

OSX is the way to go. I just upgraded to a 2.3ghz machine and I kick myself for wating so long.

I have had a week to load some of my old OS9 only programs on the new G5. The programs run fine under classic. And they run much faster than they ever did under my old G3 running OS9 native.

Upgrading to the G5 is a win-win situation. All programs run faster, even the old ones.