Incompatibility with ProTools?

Jon Howard

Question

A colleague has installed ProTools on his G4 laptop, which also runs VW11.5. The OS is Tiger 10.4.1.

Unfortunately, ProTools uses a hardware key, similar to the MacHASP dongle we have on our European copies of VW. This has seriously conflicted with VW, so that when you launch VW the dongle is no longer recognised, and part of ProTools tries to launch.

I have uninstalled ProTools, and relaoded the dongle drivers, including the 'Forced' package. I have also tried re-loading the BSD subsystem. All to no avail. At best the red light comes on on the dongle when the laptop starts up, but rapidly goes off again. The dongle can be seen on the USB bus in the System Profiler however.

Much as I understand Nemetschek's need to prevent copying, hardware keys, just for some markets, are a royal pain.

Jonathan

3 answers to this question

Jon, I run ProTools 6.4 at home, and it doesnt like Tiger.

I partitioned the my hard drive and installed both operating systems, Panther (for when I run ProTools) and Tiger, for when I run my normal daily activities including Vectorworks. I have a DIGI 001, and no dongle is reqd.

As far as I know (and maybe you can update me) ProTools doesnt have an update for Tiger ...???

Thanks, chaps.

I may suggest the partition approach if he is really keen to run ProTools on the laptop.

The solution to this problem (for VW, at least) was to get a set of Tiger-friendly dongle drivers from our Vectorworks supplier. Once loaded, the dongle came back to life and VW runs again. He'll have to put his musical career on hold, and get on with his work instead...