Windows 64

seanSF&A

Question

6 answers to this question

Don't be in a hurry to install XP 64.I installed for fun on a seperate hard drive and VW would not install. The bigger proplem will be drivers, 32 bit drivers will not install and it takes time for manufacturers to write new drivers. I doubt HP will ever put out 64 bit drivers for my designjet 430. You would not benefit much with XP 64 over 32 bit anyway.

.......except that its the (near)future of computing and that one of the virtues extolled is the ability to address more memory and be much faster at tasks such as rendering. Added to the up-comming dual core AMD64, computing power is set to increase expotentially. Any software vendor who does not adapt to the new technology, looses out and will fade away.

Well, I did it, Im also an inveterate techie as well as Building Serveyor and I could notr resist upgrading to x64. It can be done but it is fiddly. Some modern printer drivers may not be supported but my Epson works fine with the pre-installed Esc/P2 windows driver updated for x64. I understand that HP also have a generic driver pre-installed in the 32 bit XP version which have also been converted. If you can find a preinstalled driver in 32bit windows it is very likely it has been converted. My HP all in one does not work however but that is now wired to another box. The Hasp key has a command line installed driver which also works to recognize the dongle. However that said there is no benefit to the upgrade other than satisfying my curiosity, so unless you are similarly driven to fiddle, dont bother.

If your machine is not fairly new I would have said the advantage of greater memory use beyond the current Win 32 limit offered by Win64 is cancelled out by the fact you don't actually have the dimm slot capacity to install that amount of extra RAM anyway.

Sure the vast majority using Win64 will happen one day but I'd rather wait till stuff is commonplace, clearly marked as compatable with both, the same way as hardware transition took into account users had everything from Windows 95 through to 98, ME and up to XP.

I guess somebody somewhere is happily using Windows 95 and has no need or intention of upgrading, That is till the kit stops working or can't be repaired.