11.5 updater on Mac OS X 10.3

Christiaan

Question

We've had some major problems with the 11.5 updater Mac OS X 10.3.8:

1) it wouldn't allow installation from a standard account (i.e. it didn't ask for an admin username and password it just choked and wouldn't allow it)

2) when we installed from a admin account the permissions were all screwed up for the standard account so we had to manually change permissions to get the the application to run on the standard account

3) all printers are missing from the VW print dialogue box so we can't print

16 answers to this question

I too am having troubles installing the update on my Mac running 10.3.8 The installer hangs and doesn't respond. I Forve Quit the installer to get it to stop. Anyway I have repaired permissions and rebooted a number of times but the installer continues to hang. Any idea? Except for the lack of new symbols, the update looks fantastic.

I have both an Admin and a Standard user, but my project files are in the non-admin account. I have no printer issues associated with the upgrade.

By now, I have been able to resolve my issues on my desktop machine, but on my laptop I still have problems: the admin account runs VW11.5, but the non-admin tell me I have corrupt files in the install and that I should reinstall (which I have, only to get the same error message).

I am tempted to just drag the folder from the desktop to the laptop... What's the worst that could happen?

OK now, I got it fixed (who gets the bill for 6 hours of my time, 4 of them at weekend rate?).

What fixed it was the install disk that came in the mail today (thanks!). The downloaded installer is apparently bad news.

Even so, I had to go into the admin user and manually change permissions. Not elegant.

Thanks for the disk in the mail! It saved my week.

If by hanging you mean it says it's searching, let it run. It will take some time to update, depending on your system setup. There's about 50 MB of changes that need to be made.

Golem,

Have you logged in as BOTH users to try the update?

Which user account did you use on the desktop that now works.

To get VW to work with other user accounts other than the account used for the installation, set the permissions of the VW 11.5 folder, subfolder and all files to have read/write access for ALL USERS. Right now, it's set only for the user account used to install the update.

Katie,

I was logged in as both users, but I install software only from the admin user. I had bad results installing software from a non-admin account in the past. I figured the permissions business when I did the first install (the one that was successful the first time around), but I think it is un-necessarily restrictive and potentially problematic.

Hi-

I've had problems updating too. While the updater is running I run out of disk space. I have about 1.5 GBytes free, then the updater eats it all. Upon quitting the free space returns to normal (sort of, after a re-boot at any rate). Any help would be appreciated, and Nemetschek - please please use a different updater than InstallerVise! A package update is much more elegant...

[EDIT 2]: I downloaded the updater again, and re-ran it and it ran fine this time! Yea! Seems like maybe the original updater had a problem. Anyway, I still say: please use a package update rather than InstallerVise!

[ 03-10-2005, 02:31 AM: Message edited by: Scott B ]

I have tried to update the 11.5 updater on my laptop. I have re-downloaded the installer twice and each time it starts it asks me for user name, company name and the serial number. I input all of that and it says it will create the directory. The first time the installer hung for almost 30 minutes without doing anything. I force quit there and then tried it several more times with the same result.

Then I downloaded the installer again. I let it go for over an hour with no difference. I have been trying to install this for a week with nothing.

Should I order some disk? Frankly I do not know what else to do.

I'm having similar issues. Networked lab, installed the update on individual machines using a local admin account.

All the users login through a OS X Server machine, and each gets asked for the serial number. Changing permissions of the app's folder does not solve. Copying user prefs from one to another does not solve. Only manually entering the serial number at launch for each individual user solves.

I got the network dongle to avoid this. I have several hundred users. Logging in as each of them and entering a serial number is not fun. Telling all the users the serial number so they can do it themselves isn't really an option.

Any fix suggestion would be highly appreciated.

Hello All,

I have noticed a curious phenomenon.

I too had the problem refered to by Christiaan (above)

>>3) all printers are missing from the VW print dialogue box so we can't print

For some reason moving my Vectorworks folder out of the (default) "Applications" folder to another that I have created on my machine called "Applications (X)" brought the printers back...

moved the folder back to "Applications", the printers disapeared again. Printers seem to be gone unless my vectorworks folder is in any folder OTHER than the default applications folder...

(yes I have repaired permissions for my machine)

Printers also are present when logged in as root though my normal day to day account is administrator...

I am not that computer literate, but I just got my 11.5 software with "General Mac Requirements of OS: Mac OS X 10.2.8" (I have 10.3.2) and "QuickTime 6 or higher" (I have 6.5) and it says I need to upgrade. I spent two hours downloading QuickTime 7.0 and now it says my Mac OS X needs to be 10.3.9. Another $129 after I aid $1700 for the software that supposedly met the general reuirements. Why am I not able to launch the program if I meet the General Requirements listed online and on the package?