Vectorworks Viewer

BrianS05

Question

I have just attempted to install the Vectorworks viewer V 11.0.1, from http://www.nemetschek.net/downloads/index.html and once this was tested I was shown an error message indicating that Quicktime v4.1 was also required. This was duly installed but the viewer is unable to read files, indicating that "The file is in a format which is too old to be read by the version of the program you are running"

Dates on the files are between November 2003 and June 2004.

Which version of the viewer do I need to install to read the older files, and is there any way to get the version I have installed to read the files I mentioned?

8 answers to this question

Depending on the version of VW the files were created in, the viewer might not open the files.

For example, a person using VW 8 can create a a file today - but the viewer won't open it because the viewer won't open files prior to version 9.

quote:

Originally posted by Katie:

Depending on the version of VW the files were created in, the viewer might not open the files.

For example, a person using VW 8 can create a a file today - but the viewer won't open it because the viewer won't open files prior to version 9.

Thanks Katie,

Does this mean the only way to resolve the problem is to install a viewer for files which were produced using VW8 as well as one which can read files from later versions? Othere than having all files changed to a newer format.

PDF is my choice for sending to clients and to the reprographics house. No special software needed.

Too bad that VW cannot batch print to PDF. I have to make Postscript files of each sheet and then run them though Distiller.

PDF is a beautiful thing. As Jonathan points out, you can make your files read only so that they cannot be printed.

PDF also allows me to have record of what I send to people. I have a PDF of each client presentation, bid set, construction set, and final as-built set. Since the PDF is what I originally sent or printed from, I know that it is accurate.

It makes for easy referencing of deadfiled jobs without having to open Minicad, or old Vectorworks files.

MW,

What OS are you using?

Generally you'll use Adobe Distiller to set up a "printer" which produces .pdf files. Alternatively, you'll print to postscript or export an image file and then use Distiller to produce the .pdf. Apple's latest (OSX) includes a Create PDF button on the print dialog box, tho some have found this implementation inadequate for their needs.

[ 02-21-2005, 12:56 PM: Message edited by: Travis ]