Using VW 11 in an Open Directory/LDAP configured environment

Tony J. Palina

Question

I have just installed VW 11 on 10 machines in a 20 machine lab. We have 10 licenses and 10 dongles. Each machine has its own serial and dongle. But, the lab is set up to use Apple's Open Directory on an LDAP server for user logins, thus providing users with a personalized desktop regardless of which machine they log into. When I log in as a network user, I have to enter the serial that corresponds to that machine. If I move to a different machine and login with the aforementioned network account, I have to enter a different serial number. I thought I could get around this by entering in all 10 serials using the Add Serial feature in the preferences, but I am only allowed to start VW when the one valid serial is in the window; all others must be deleted.

Is there a way around this without converting to a network dongle? I tried entering more than one serial on a local account and the same thing happened; I have to delete the other serials except for the one that corresponds to the dongle in that machine. The network dongle would actually help me in the long run with installation images, but I want to be sure it is my only option before I set the wheels in motion.

20 Machines are PowerMac G5s, running 10.3.5. LDAP server is a G4, running 10.3.5 Server.

Thanx.

5 answers to this question

THe prefernce file for each serial number is found in the user home folder>library>preferences>VectorWorks preferences.

If you add all the serial numbers to this list and put that list in all the user home folders>library>preferences>VectorWorks, the problem should be resolved.

THe alternative is to switch to a network license.

I entered in all 10 serial numbers and placed the pref file in the proper location. When I log into a machine that has VW on it, it will come up with an error telling me my serial does not match my dongle, do I want to enter more serials. Then, the list is shown and the right serial is in there, but the program won't start until I have deleted the other 9 serials from the list.

Oh well, I guess I'll just call about the network license. [smile]

You can only have ONE serial number installed PER COMPUTER if you choose to use the single license dongles.

The computer has no way of determining which serial number is picked from the list, therefore it won't pick a serial number that matches your dongle - it's not that smart.

[My lab uses Mac OS X 10.2.8 (moving to 10.3.x in a few weeks)]

What about for network licenses? I just upgraded from 3 single-station dongles, to 10 license network dongle. For every user logging in, and starting VW11.0.1 it is asking for a serial number. This will not work for a lab environment.

I found the serial number in the resource fork for the file "~/Library/Preferences/VectorWorks 11 Prefs". I tried ditto'ing (copies data and resource fork) that file to "/Library/Preferences" but that does not work.

It is really a BIG PAIN IN THE ASS to have the serial number and registration in EACH USERS Library folder, and not a central location (ie. /Library/Preferences). I would STRONGLY SUGGEST that you make it work that way and save us lab administrators a large amount of headache. (Sorry for the CAPS, but I am very frustrated at a lot of software developers at this point and how no thought has been given to us lab admins.)

Also, might I suggest NOT putting that data in a resource fork on HFS+? Just make it a "regular" file or even a *.plist file. Much, much simpler.

Thanks! :-)

[ 09-08-2004, 04:32 PM: Message edited by: Jason S ]