After v11 Install My .mcd Files are Not Recognized

Bob Armbruster

Question

On a Windows 2000Pro system I upgraded from v9.5 by installing v11 from CD. When I upgraded I did not uninstall v9.5 until after installing v11. I have also installed the v11.01 update.

When I double-click on a file with .mcd extension the file does not open in Vectorworks. Nothing happens. Even if I open the Vectorworks program first and then double-click on a .mcd file nothing happens. I can only open the files through the VW program's command "File/Open . . ".

In Windows file explorer I have tried using the command "Tools/Folder Options/File Types . . ." to reset the .mcd file extension so that it opens in Vectorworks but it has not worked.

I also uninstalled Vectorworks, restarted and reinstalled. Still no recognition of the .mcd files.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Bob

2 answers to this question

When you launch VW, do you still get a dialog box that asks if you want to associate all files with VW version 11?

IF not, did you by any chance click NO at this dialog box and then check mark Do not show me again ?

If you still have the dialog box appearing when you launch vw, select YES and check mark Do not show me this again.

The file association is not set to match VW 11, which is why you are having the situation that you have. This is most likley because you selected NO at the dialog box.

Katie,

I do not get the dialog box so I must have clicked NO at some time in the past.

Is there a way to set the file association to match VW11? In Windows file explorer I have tried using the command "Tools/Folder Options/File Types . . ." to reset the .mcd file extension so that it opens in Vectorworks but it has not worked.

Thanks,

Bob