Architect not showing up

Sofia Ames

Question

We just got a new (used) G3 at work and I installed our work VW10 on it, plus the three downloaded updaters. Having done this I found Architect as one of the choices in the Workspaces folder. When this same VW was installed on the old computer (7300) it didn't have Architect. And my computer at home which has my second VW10 license on it doesn't seem to have Architect either. The only common factor seems to be that the 7300 and my home computer both have VW8 on them, while the G3 doesn't. What is going on? I'm not sure whether we even bought Architect or not (boss lost original receipt).

3 answers to this question

VW 8 does not have an architect workspace, unless you purchased Architect 101 several years ago. Instead, VW 8 has the AEC workspace which should have some of the Architect tools and commands VW 10 Architect has. You probably won't see the same tools because of program enhancements between VW 8 and VW 10.

Katie, I don't think you've quite understood my problem. It is with the installation of VW10, NOT VW8. Please re-read the question. The only reason I mentioned VW8, was as a possible reason why Architect (as part of VW10) was installing on one machine, but not on any of the others (ie. the one machine that it successfully installed on, was a machine that had never had VW8 installed onto it...maybe the presence of VW8 somehow blocks the installation of VW10-Architect?). I just don't want to go to the trouble of taking VW8 off my machine and re-installing VW10 plus all the updates if that's not the reason why Architect isn't showing up.

I tried to call tech support 2 days ago to explain this in person and was told I would get a call right back and still haven't heard back.

quote:

When this same VW was installed on the old computer (7300) it didn't have Architect. And my computer at home which has my second VW10 license on it doesn't seem to have Architect either.

Did you use the same serial number in the first scenario as the serial number used in the first mentioned install?

Do you see an architect workspace in the workspaces folder in the VW 10 folder?

Are you sure you are not installing and launching the viewer?

Did you have a demo version installed?

Do you have a dongle version of VW?

This problem may also be alleviated by removing VW 10 folders and emptying the trash can.

You also need to get rid of the VW Prefs file. If you are in OS 10, this is in the user home folder, library, preferences, VW 10 Prefs.

OS 9 this is in the system folder, Preferences, VW 10 Prefs.

These files need to be moved to the trash can and the trash needs to be emptied before reinstalling.

Then, proceed with re-installing VW.

The computer with the second license -- you may need to check the above questions with that install. You may also need the serial number verified by Sales or Tech Support to amke sure it can unlock the Architect installation. If the SN is not programmed for Arch, it can't install.

VW 8 should not interfere with the installation of VW 10 in any way.