How to install Mechanical

Oliver

Question

Hi,

Our company typically only uses (PC ver.) VW 10.x - Architect, but the need has arisen to use Mechanical as well. Having forseen this enventuality, it was my understanding that we had purchased the whole VW suite (Mech, Arch etc).

So I was just trying to install Vectorworks - Mechanical.....and it seems I can't (it doesn't show up as an option in workspaces---do I need to create my own workspace perhaps?).

When I try to run the Mechanical specific installer from the CD, it says I have to run the main installer; however, the main installer does not give an option for additional components........I've tried re-installing the whole thing too; no luck.

I must be missing something (or were we duped into believeing we had gotten the whole package, when in fact we didn't [smile] )?

Thanks

Oliver

5 answers to this question

Wow, thanks for the fast response...

Installed 10.1 and since updated to 10.1.2.

After poking around a bit more, it seems that I *do* have access to the mechanical specific tools if I create a custom workspace. I guess I was just hoping for a pre-built workspace....

Oliver

You should have a Mechanical workspace if mechanical was installed.

I can't remember what version of VW 10 mechanical came out, but if you call Customer Service -they can have a VW 10.1.2 installation CD shipped to you. ( 888-646-4223)

If you just run the downloadable updaters, Spotlight and Mechanical - depending on the CD version you installed from may not install. That is probably the contributing factor to not having Mech installed.

There are a number of Mech related tools and menus that ship with foundation. If you don't see about 75 menus and tools related specifically to mechanical such as different types of nuts and bolts and washers and screws and so forth, you don't have mechanical installed.

This will require an installation CD to install.

The updaters only update what you have installed.

Mechanical and Spotlight came out after Foundation, RW, Landmark and Architect came out. The updaters wlil not install these components if you installed a CD version of a version of VW 10 prior to 10.1.0.

If you think you bought the IC and do not think you have it installed, you can contact your Sales Rep and they can chech your SN and purchas order to see if there was a mistake. You can also contact Tech Support and they can verify the SN and fix the installation problem.

Thanks!

Actually, that brings up an interesting behaviour that made me shake my head at first...perhaps you can explain (not critical--don't worry about it).

The CD I have clearly says Vectorworks 10.1: and Foundation, Architect,Landmark, Mechanical and Spotlight are checked off (presumably to indicate they are present on the disk, which they are).

The exact error I got when trying to apply the individual modules is that the module installs don't match the current version (this was before I updated to 10.1.2).

I'm wondering if the disk has a 10.1 installer for VW and 10.0 installers for the extras, and they're barfing on that mis-match.

Anyway, I will get in touch with our vendor and find out what happened....thanks for your help!

Oliver