Minicad

tdgarner

Question

I have been using Minicad7 on Windows 2000 for 9 months. They reformatted my drive and now I cannot get Minicad to work. When it tries to run, a gray window appears, and then a dialog box titled "Microsodt Visual C++ Runtime Library" saying, "Runtime Error! Program:C:\ProgramFiles\MinkCAD7\MINICAD.EXE abnormal program termination".

I have also installed the upgrade to 7.0.3 with the same results.

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this?

One other thing -

You probably need to update the video driver.

If you reinstalled Win2k without going to the manufacturer's website and getting the latest version of the video driver, that can cause the run time error at startup.

Also, make sure you have quicktime 4 or 5 installed.

If you have QT 5 installed, go back and reinstall it using a custom install rather than a recommended install (default).

Select all the components to install and proceed with the installation.

If you have qt 6 installed, you can end up with the same error as it's not compatible with any version of VW prior to VW 9.5.3.

Make sure you have a printer setup for the Printers folder.

If you do not have a printer setup at all, you can get a C++ Runtime Error as well.

If you do have a printer set up, try to set the default printer to a different printer (if you have more than one setup).

If you only have one printer, check the manuf. website to see if there is an updated printer driver available. If so, download and install the updated printer driver and try to launch MC 7 then.

I am having the exact same problems as listed above, I have tried all of the steps and still nothing. I have tried a different video card with a different driver and it still did not work. I also tried a different printer. My machine is running windows XP pro on NTFS. I have an NVDIA GeFroce 4, 1GB DDR ram, P4 - 2.4GHz on an 845 chipset motherboard. Any ideas?

When you installed QuickTime 5, did you do a typical or custom install?

If you just installed the default settings, this is probably waht is causing the problem.

Install QuickTime 5 again but make sure you use the CUSTOM install and select all components to install.

Minicad version 7.0.1a, the message is "Runtime Error! Program:C:\ProgramFiles\MiniCAD7\MINICAD.EXE abnormal program termination". Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library is the caption of the window.

[ 03-28-2003, 10:07 AM: Message edited by: Thorr ]

I still haven't gotten this to work either. I originally had this running on this machine with this video driver and the same printer driver. It worked fine. I think that my W2000 had a service pack 1.

I then had to give the machine to the system administrators to rebuild to a corporate standard configuration. They repartitioned the disk, and reinstalled W2000, 5.00.2195 Service Pack 3. It hasn't worked since. This is an HP 6100, 1.12 Ghz, 1 Gbyte RAM, ATI Mobile Radeon (16 MB).

We sent a Compac laptop to get reconfigured by the same group, supposedly to the same spec, and Minicad worked fine on it when it was returned. It does seem associated with this laptop somehow, although it used to run on this laptop for nearly a year.

I have tried to update the video driver, and the printer driver, and chosen a different printer, but nothing works.

Thorr-

What version is the video driver?

What version are the print drivers?

Do you have any other versions of VW installed on the computer?

What version of DirectX do you have installed?

What version of DirectX does the person not having the problem have installed?

His machine has Directx 9.0a, Nvidia Geforce 4 MX 440 driver version 4.3.4.5, XP Pro w/sp-1, HP 2100 PCL 6 version 4.3.2.201, and the same printer postscript version 4.0.

He also has the following software installed:

Abaqus

Acrobat 5

Photoshop 7

AutoCad 2000

Easy CD 5 Basic

Exceed and Exceed 3D

Matlab

Office XP Pro

Patran

SAP2000

He does not have any other vectorworks software on the machine. I am pretty sure it is not a quicktime, printer driver or video driver issue since I have swapped all of those out with different versions and/or types.

[ 04-01-2003, 09:36 AM: Message edited by: Thorr ]

This may be one of those incompatibility issues.

The program being used is over 6 years old with technology of the OS only a year old.

Finding out the differences between the two computers will probably determine the cause of the crash.