dongle not recognized

revbean

Question

I received my educational copy of VW10 a week ago today and have yet to be able to actually run it. I'm trying to install it on a Powerbook G4 running OS X 10.1.5. The installation seems to go fine, but when I start up VW I get an error message that tells me no dongle is detected, and it quits. The dongle is plugged in, and its LED is lit.

I've tried installing with the dongle unplugged (as directed in the install instructions) and with the dongle plugged in. I've tried installing as root. I've tried downloading the dongle drivers from the manufacturer's website and isntalling them seperately (before and after the VW installation). None of this has worked.

The dongle is recognized by the Apple System Profiler app, although no drivers are listed (I don't if this is actually a symptom, as there are other devices for which it also does not list drivers).

I would really like to get VW working, and so far it has been nothing but frustrating.

bean

9 answers to this question

I wonder if it has to do with something in the Education version of the software? I'm still having a similar problem with my copy of Spotlight 9.5.2. I even tried installing it on a different computer, different OS, and I still get the problem of the Spotlight plugins not being recognized.

You would have thought that it had been tested. Even if it is only the educational version. I get the impression that because I'm a student I'm not really a priority. But, while the reduced price that I paid for VW may be insignificant to NNA, it's not insignificant to me.

And it seems that as a student I'm at a point in my career where they should be doing everything in their power to instill a lifelong sense of brand loyalty. They're off to a bad start.

bean

I am also having problems with dongle not being recognised.

Machine is a G3 (firewire) powerbook with os 10.2. VW 10 gives error during install saying that it does not have enough privillages to complete the install, even though i am logged in as admin.

Dongle does light up, but vectorworks does not recognise it.

NB I have successfully installed VW 10 on OS 10.2 on a slot load imac where dongle is recognised

Well, I contacted my distrubutor of VectorWorks and exchanged a few emails with them. They told me that they've had previous problems with the Educational version not recognizing the dongles. His solution is to cut a new dongle that is fully enabled. It doesn't take too long to do, and I should receive early next week. I'll let everyone know if I can get it working.

In the mean time, it probably wouldn't hurt to talk to the company you ordered Vectorworks from and they may have other solutions.

I actually purchased VW direct from Nemetschek. And have been in contact with them for a while now. But am still without a solution. They told me that it might be a problem with a bad dongle, and that I should get a replacement, but before following through with that told me that it was a problem with MacOS 10.1.5 and that I should upgrade to 10.2. Of course I can't afford to upgrade to 10.2 and so am left without a woking option, now two weeks after receiving the software, which is very generously priced but is still expensive for something that does nothing.

James, who may I ask is your distributor? They seem to know more about this problem than Nemetschek tech support. I really do believe it is a problem with the dongle, I've tried installing now under MacOS 10.1, 10.2, and 9.2, and gotten the same error messages with each. However I've been having a hard time getting in touch with anyone at Nemetschek who is actually taking any steps to solve the problem. The best they've come up with is to offer me a full refund. I am certainly frustrated that it's been almost a month and I still don't have a working copy of the software but I'd rather have the program running than have my money back, and it seems from your experience that this is a fixable problem.

Paxar Technologies: www.vectorworks.ca

As you can see from the ending, I'm in Canada so hopefully you won't have to pay heavy shipping charges. Teri at Paxar was quite helpful and said they've had this problem before. Once I confirmed what kind of dongle I needed, I received it in two-three days.

I hope they can help you out, and Vectorworks certainly is worth it for us poor students.

James

Finally, about a week ago, a new donlge arived in the mail and VW is working on my machine. So this had in fact been the problem. It took a while, and I'm not entirely happy with the level of service that I received throughout the process, but I'm glad to have things sorted out, and am now spending way too much time with my computer.