Keeping attributes when replacing symbols

Martin

Is there a way that I can keep the attributes, such as channel number and color, when I use spotlight to replace one fixture for another.

When I update my paperwork, I will occasionally need to swap out symbols. All of the information from the previous fixture should definitely swap over as well.

The only way I have found to do this is to actually type in the replacement symbol name into the OI pane.

If you mean that you want to keep the same lamp info (unit,color,channel) by just replacing the symbol (ie a different instrument)then you should not be having a problem. I do this all the time and the only thing I sometimes have to do is change the label legend if new symbol is largely diffrent in size. I am using SL 10 on a PC but there was no problem in the 9.0 days either.

Steve

Sounds like you have a problem. I use replace instrument a lot and I have not had happen what you are experiencing, at least with the stock instruments in SP 9.5. If you go to replace instrument it should just change the icon, and itstrument type info, the rest of the info, channel, ect, should stay the same.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Martin,

It works for me on a simple document. I tried the "Replace with active symbol" and the "Replace Instrument" command. As designed, it kept the existing information for everyting except the Frame Size, Instrument Type and Wattage. If you have a file thet shows the problem email it to tech@nemetschek.net.