VW 9.5.1 fail to launch!

GAMO

Question

Hi there:I've already installed Vector Works 9.5 and everything goes fine, but the application doesn't launch...!!I tried installing the patch of the DLL's, but still the same.What else can I do?

Windows 98 MachineVector Works Architect 9.5.1

Thank You confused.gif" border="0

6 answers to this question

VectorWorks 9.5.1 introduced a dependency for OpenGL. On the Mac this is expressed with a type 3 error when you start the program.

I'm not sure if this would effect anything other than Windows 95 (which did not have OpenGL built in), but try installing the 9.5.2 update from our web site and see if you can start after that.

Otherwise, the next thing to check is Windows Safe Mode. If you can start VectorWorks here, then you have all the required files and it is just a software or driver conflict.

Matthew GiampapaNNA Technical Support

Thank's Matt:I've done what you suggested: Upgrade to 9.5.2, switch to windows safe mode....start running good but stopped after filling name and company.....and stop forever!Certainly it's an incompatibility issue....I've to find what else to do. Maybe someone else (windows 98 user) had this problem and may help me this time.Any ideas?

confused.gif" border="0

GAMO,

Ok that's news then... right after you enter your user name and serial numbers. The program attempts to write this information to the Windows registry.

What we need to do is see if this was done successfully, or if your registry may be damaged. To do so, go to the start menu -> run, and type in the command "regedit" without the quotes. Click Ok.

This will start the MS registry editor, but be careful in here, it is possible to damage your copy of windows and other software by messing around.

What we want to do is look in the tree Hkey_local_machine/software/nemeteschek and Hkey_current_user/software/nemetschek. To see if VectorWorks was able to store any of your information.

We are particularly interested to see if there is any data in the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Nemetschek\VectorWorks 9.5\Registration" key.

If nothing is in here, then VectorWorks is having a error when its trying to write the data. In that eventuality, either your registry permissions have changed (unlikely unless you have been using security software) or that your registry may be corrupt.

Unfortunately the best way to fix a registry problem is with a reinstall of windows, but there are tools like Norton utilities available that can also repair some type of damage.

Let me know what you find here, and if need be I'll find out where the next common point of failure is in the boot process.

Matthew GiampapaNNA Technical Support

Matt:

Look at what I've done:

1. I've re-install Windows 98

2. I've installed VW 9.5.1

3. The program didn't start up

4. Tried Safe mode (the same: didn't start up)

5. Ran Regedit and I didn't find anything under the path you gave me.

Please, tell me what else can I do with this?

This is very important for our company...My boss is expecting the programas to run (3 licences)because of the investment ($$$$) and also because we're switching from AutoCAD.

Thanks again!

confused.gif" border="0

When you start up VW, are you double clicking on an alias on the destop, thru the start menu, by double clicking on a file, or by double clicking on the application in the VW 951 folder?

If you haven't already, try to double click on th eicon from the VW 951 folder.

Do you get to the splash screen ?

Do you get an error message?

GAMO,

Are you running Windows 98 or 98SE? You could be missing some of the required system files that are found in more modern OS's. If you don't have Win 98SE, then this could be the problem.