RW 9.5 fails install over 9.0 VW & RW

louv

Question

System: Mac OS 10.1.2

I Installed 9.01 VW Architect and RW 9.0 from CD. All is well.

Then I used the 9.5.0 updater to install. After entering both my VW and RW serial numbers, the install seemed to complete successfully, however...

RW does NOT work in 9.5. It doesn't even seem to have been installed. In the splash screen when 9.5 VW launches, there is no mention of RW (like there is in VW 9.0).

I have done 3 clean installs. No luck.

Is there a possible problem with Educational Serial numbers?

Is there a problem with installing 9.0 and then updating 9.5 under OS 10.1.2?

7 answers to this question

You need to have VW AND RW 9.0.1 to update both VW and RW to version 9.5.

If you go to VW 901, you will not see RenderWorks since it is version 9.0. The VW 9.5 web based installer simply copies the current version of VW 9.0.1 and updates the copy. Since you do not have RW 901 installed, the web based installer will not update to RW 9.5.

You have 2 options. You can request a RW 901 CD to be sent to you. Then you can install RW 901 correctly and then update VW and RW to version 9.5.

OR

You can request a VW 9.5 installation CD allowing you to install a clean version of VW and RW 9.5. With the CD installation, you can specify the serial numbers for VW and RW to unlock the installation keys and install VW and RW without depending on VW 901.

If you purchase RenderWorks 9.5 and already have VW 9.5 installed. You will have to go back and install VW 9.5 with RenderWorks this time.

When you order RenderWorks however, they should send you a CD in which case you will not have to have VW 9.0.1 installed.

Oh, I forgot to mention... The first time I tried the upgrage I have already updated to RW 9.0.1 with the web-downloaded updater.

I called Sales and they promised to send me a 9.5 install CD. That was a month ago. Still no CD.

I have also sent "sales" an email asking for the 9.5 install CD. Still no CD.

Still no successful 9.5 RW upgrade/install.

Now I'm a cranky new user with a bad first time experience. Whatever.

You need to have VW with RW 9.0.1 installed correctly in order for the web installer updater to install VW with RW correctly. You cannot install RW 9.5 seperately from VW 9.5, they have to be installed together.

*make sure it is VW 9.0.1 and RW 9.0.1 and not 9.0. The web based installer searches for a VW 9.0.1 folder and copies the folder. The VW 9.5 update is made ot the copied folder.

Since you are using the web based installer, you will need to make sure you have VW and RW installed and launched at least one time to enter in the serial numbers. Then you can run the web based installer for the 9.5 updater. Be sure both your VW and RW serial numbers are entered correctly at the serial number dialog box. Then proceed with the installed. Upon first launch of VW 9.5, you should see VW wtih RW installed.

Before installing 9.5, make sure to remove any instance of VW 9.5 from your computer, including the VW 9.5 preferences file.

I suggest contacting Sales at 888-646-4223 to check on the status of the CD you ordered.

[ 03-04-2002: Message edited by: Katie ]

I have to remove the prefs file as well? No one has ever told me that part before. Why would your software engineers develop their installers in such a customer-unfriendly way? (no, I don't actually expect an answer for that question)

I wish I had more time to beta-test your overly-complex installer processes, but I don't. So until I receive the thrice-requested 9.5 install CD, I have much better things on which to spend my time.

I suggested removing the preferences file because this will ensure a clean installation from VW 901. If VW and RW were installed correctly before installing the VW/RW 9.5 installer, you most likely wouldn't have to do that.

The 9.5 installer simply copies the current VW 901 folder and updates that. If there is an error in the 901 installation, the error will carry over to the VW 9.5 installation. You can simply remove the VW application, however if there are duplicate preference files, there could be a conflict causing an error in the VW 9.5 intsallation if using the web based installer.