symbols change to rectangles

mac G4 os 10.1.5

spotlight 10.1.2

i've been working in the same document for some time today adding symbols to the RB. in many cases i've been importing SL symbols, then replacing the 2D portion of the symbol with a polyline in the edit symbol window.

after returning to the drawing, i just tried to shift-click on three different symbols, and then moved them. when i released the cursor, all three symbols turned into rectangles that were the same shape (although the original symbols were different sizes).

when i changed to Top View the wireframes of the other symbols were fine, but the 3 remained same-sized rectangles.

i quit the program, re-opened the application and document. the 3 were restored to their former shapes. all good.

then i selected one symbol and moved it. when i moved the symbol it returned to the same rectangle shape.

hints cheerfully accepted. thanks

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

The instruments will change to rectangles anytime the symbol used to represent the instrument can not be found. In earlier versions there were some problems with the degree symbol in the symbol name. This caused the instruments to turn into rectangles when they were moved to a different platform. You can use the find and modify command to replace the symbol names.