Epson Pro 7800 Feedback please.

LanceS

Question

The office has narrowed down its choices and are thinking of purchasing the Epson Stylus Pro 7800 large format printer and we would like to hear any comments from users. We are Mac based , G5, OS X 10.3.9 running VW 11.5 This printer will primarly be used for floor plans, layouts and in house construction drawings. While occasionally printing renderings for presentation.

Thank you in advance.

LanceS

6 answers to this question

Two things I know of with regard to the 7600, which may be the same for the 7800:

-Epsons drivers don't allow for A2 printing across roll, so you need to print along the roll and then manually trim it.

-Epson Printer Utility crashes Mac OS X, so you need to do any maintenance directly via the printer rather than from a computer.

I would concur with Christiaan's first comment, but only re the 7600. There's no problem with the x800-series printing "crosswise" of the paper travel.

His second comment is news to me. We recently (last December) replaced our 7600 with a new 9800 and have never had a single problem with the Epson Utility. We use an older G4 as the print server and I often access it via Remote Desktop to run Epson Printer Utility because I'm too lazy to walk down a flight of stairs to check ink levels. I'm confident it's fully compatible with both Panther and Tiger OS's.

We've just noticed that output on the 9800 (it shares the same hardware and software with the 7800) is slightly out of scale. We've got a call into Epson support, but for now we have the page scale (in Page Setup) set to 99.3%.

We've had such good support from both our local EpsonPro dealer as well as Epson's techs, that it'll be a while before we even consider anything else.

Good luck,

Travis, the crashing utility might have to do with G5s maybe, but it's a definite problem on all our machines (which are all G5s)?

Glad to hear they've fixed the A2 rotate problem with the 7800. But here in lies a lesson with regard to Epson. I spent a lot of time trying to get this issue acknowledged as a bug and fixed by Epson, and they continually fobbed me off, telling me it was an issue with Mac OS X and there was nothing they could do about it.

It's interesting that they were able to overcome this insurmountable problem with Mac OS X for their 7800 driver, but not the 7600, which they appear not to be offering anymore.

Just another point to bear in mind when purchasing a printer. From my very limited experience it seems HP and Canon are better companies to deal with in this regard.

We run Epson's Utility directly from both G5s and the G4 that is directly connected to the printers. As I said above, I've never had the Utility crash a machine in more than 5 years.

I have no experience with Canon. However, my experence some years ago with HP and Mac left us in the lurch. It seems that most of the professional photographers I know use Mac/Epson, while most of the architects I know use PC/HP. I find myself somewhat stuck in the middle.

One advantage I may have is that our local EpsonPRO dealer is also an authorized Apple dealer. Their techs are all over the Mac/Epson interface. You can find them on the web at PictureLine.com.

Christiaan

Hold the horses with regard to HP: my Designjet 110plus nr can't print A2 across either, and I'm getting the old runaround too - you know, HP says it's either a Mac or VW problem, Apple says its either HP or VW, and VW says its a Mac or HO problem. Sound familiar?