containers overlapping symbols

hi folks. i'm currently working on a label legend. the circle provided as a container is way too small; i usually use 18 point arial for channels, and put the channel in a circle. (btw, it would be nice if the containers were text-sensitive and expand in size if the text is larger than the outside edge of the circle). so i drew a 7" circle and added this as a symbol in the containers folder.

then, in the label legend manager, i assigned the channel the 7" container. usually i hand draft the circle so that it's 'tucked under' the lighting instrument, to clearly show that the instrument is controlled by That Channel.

when i move the channel text close enough for the container circle to be 'tucked under', however, the result is the circle is on top of (and covering) a portion of the lighting symbol. so far no amount of 'send to back' in any edit symbol window has suceeded in allowing the symbol to be 'on top' of the channel circle container.

anyone have any ideas?

thanks in advance.

Hey Steve -

How are things? Having a fun summer?

RE: label issues.

There you go making trouble again!! :-)

As far as I know the labels are designed to go on top of the instruments and I haven't found a way to get them under.

As to the size of the container - I would get your ME glasses if they need 18 Pt :-).

Otherwise you will have to create custom containers like you have been doing, they don't resize as far as I know.

Jim Allen

hi jim. hope all is well with you.

the 18 point font is so i can print out the plot in almost any scale and be able to read it. i draft the plots in 1/2" scale. on smaller plots i can then print as low as 38% (3/16" scale) or in some cases even 30% and the whole plot fits onto an 8 1/2 x 11. and the channels are still readable out of a laserprinter.

when i try to make text small enough to fit into the provided containers (like 3 digit numbers) they get *really* hard to read unless you output the document at full 1/2" scale. and even then, for old eyes, it's at times a challenge.

so i'm still looking for the holy 'container tuck under lighting instrument symbol' grail i guess.

quote:

Originally posted by David Ormsby:

What if you edit your symbols to include the circle? That would get it in the right place, and possible reduce your need to tweak Chn # positions...

but if the circle is with the symbol, and if i have five basic positions in the orientation of the unit (front, front diag, side, diag back, back), then i would have to have five different versions of each symbol with the circle in different positions. which is what i've done with autoplot. and hoo-boy, keeping track of that is pretty time consuming.

hey jim;

the need for tightness (tuck the circle under the light) is relative to the amount of space on the paper for the electrics. last fall i did a tour that had only nine overhead electrics in a 40' depth. no problem.

on the other hand, at this last spoleto, i drafted two shows in rotating rep into 14 overhead electrics in a space with playing depth to only 26 feet.

if i were to draft those without a circle around the channel i (& the elecs) would get hopelessly confused. and i feel that the channel is the primary piece of info about the instrument.

kevin has informed me that his folks are looking at this. stay tuned.

Ouch - 14 in 26'!! I cheat, with the linsets dimensioned, I spread the electricts out enough to keep things separated. Also I took the plunge and bought a 24" plotter - best investment I've made lately!!

You just gotta stop doing that Spoleto - messes everything up!! [smile] or get them to make the stage bigger [Cool]

You gonna be in Michigan with any shows this season?

Keep smiln'

Jim

hey jim; yes i cheated as well. but even with spreading the electrics out it was still a gooey chocolate mess even with just two shows, opera and a play.

one sheet showing opera units, opera channels, play units without channels. another sheet showing opera units without channels, play units, and play channels. two sets of symbols; opera white-bodies, and play-shaded bodies. just a *little* nutty.

no at this point me no go to michigan. on the other hand i've not gotten many calls for the fall. once again my career is over. again. shelley