Dissapering PDF's

AndyBard

Question

Afternoon all.

I have an A3 printer. I have set my VW page up as an A2 page, and the print area matches this. Doc set up says A2 as well. I then print and save as a PDF, The doc seems to be saved, but when I open it up, nothing has been saved.

I can save the image if in VW i make it 2 A3 pages. but when the pdf is oped it is on two pages.

Help please.

10 answers to this question

Afternoon all.

I have an A3 printer. I have set my VW page up as an A2 page, and the print area matches this. Doc set up says A2 as well. I then print and save as a PDF, The doc seems to be saved, but when I open it up, nothing has been saved.

I can save the image if in VW i make it 2 A3 pages. but when the pdf is oped it is on two pages.

Help please.

After all this time I finally sussed it !!

If you go to the page setup menu, set print area and set the print size from the default to A3 it show "two" pages.

Set it to one page and it reverts to something like A4 portrait.

The secret, such as it is, is you have to also go to the file, print setup menu and change your printer setting to the same page size as your print area, then going back to the print area dialog shows "one page" in the text and on the visual indicator on the left. It will only print the one page if you leave all as your print option.

Whilst in different places, they need to match up for VW to print correctly as in A3 on A3.

Obvious really, but I don't think it's very clear, but that might be just me.

Alan

[ 03-10-2006, 06:43 AM: Message edited by: alanmac ]

So I take it your Mac based running OSX using the inbuilt pdf capability.

If so I'm not sure, with regard to your last comment, to be honest.

With the separate pdf creation program I use at home, pdf995 you tell it what size you want pdf to be, but with Mac I guess it goes by the assigned printer you have before hitting the pdf option.

I'll have a go when I'm at my mac based studio tomorrow. Nasty ol' Windows (not really) here at my home studio.

If you want to try out your theory maybe download a printer driver for an A2 printer from Epson or HP and install it. Although thinking about it its going to give you a pdf at A2, is that what you want?

To print an A2 on two bits of A3, your printer, you surely must have your print setup under file menu to A3 but your page "Set Print Area" to A2. This will show two A3 pages side by side, especially if you enable show page breaks.

Then ask VW to print all pages I'd assume. But unless your printer goesright to the edge, part of the drawing will be missing.

Sorry got a bit carried away. Try getting a A2 printer driver, as I said, then pdf via OSX that set up.

Alan

[ 03-13-2006, 01:07 PM: Message edited by: alanmac ]

Thanks alan. I look forward to your discovey. I am indeed on a mac and have an inbuilt pdf creator. Yes i'm trying to save the pdf at A2 so I can send it to another office at right scale but large enough for clarity, and they'll print it their end.

I can print the A2 doc on two bits of A3 as you said, but as you also pointed out some of the drawing is lost due to the margins.

Thanks again.

Andy

Hi Andy

really busy so can't spend loads of time, but it does appear that using OSX's inbuilt pdf creator has to relate to the printers installed on your machine.

Two choices as I see it at the moment, download a printer driver from a Epson or HP site which goes to that size and pdf from that as if you had the machine on your system or buy/download a pdf creation software that goes to the bigger sizes. can't help you on that as my bigger sizes are dealt with by the home Windows pdf creator.

Alan