I use Metric!

dunsterville

Question

Hi, whenever I print an A4 or A3 drawing I have to always have to make sure that there are at four pieces of paper in the printer's tray.

And this is after I've set all preferences to the right output, rather than the stupidly preferred and dreaded 'US Letter'.

This is exemplified when I save as a PDF from the print dialogue: it produces a four page doc ? one has my work on it, and I have physically remove the three other totally blank pages.

(I've basically had enough of US measurements, this goes for the default new page that comes up unbidden every time I open VW)

When we load VW for the first time, perhaps it would be nice to be given a global and permanent choice of Metric or US, so that non-US users don't have a number of tasks before actual work can begin.

Regards, Guy dunsterville@mac.com

8 answers to this question

You can make your own "default VW" file. Take the file, make all the required preferences you want metric, paper size, pens, fonts, class layers etc.etc. and save that as your default file, then it will come up as that file each time you open VW.

Alan

[ 03-08-2006, 07:05 AM: Message edited by: alanmac ]

Hi Katie

I'm printing mainly A3 sized drawings, but some A4 and some AO.

Using VW to print these drawings has always been the case of choosing the option to enter "print one page of one" to get it to print without extra blank pages.

This is true of any drawing I've done, even if I remember correctly, A4.

If I go to the printer page and set to one page as you suggest I get what looks like A4 portrait as my print/drawing area to work with. What am I doing wrong?

I've just grown so use to setting my printing up this way, I've never looked for an answer or solution, is there one?

Alan

Hi Katie

I figured it out. Here is my reply in another thread on this

"After all this time I finally sussed it !!

If you go to the page setup menu, set print area and set the print size from the default to A3 it show "two" pages.

Set it to one page and it reverts to something like A4 portrait.

The secret, such as it is, is you have to also go to the file, print setup menu and change your printer setting to the same page size as your print area, then going back to the print area dialog shows "one page" in the text and on the visual indicator on the left. It will only print the one page if you leave all as your print option.

Whilst in different places, they need to match up for VW to print correctly as in A3 on A3.

Obvious really but I don't think it's very clear, but that might be just me."

Cheers

Alan

[ 03-10-2006, 06:47 AM: Message edited by: alanmac ]

quote:

Originally posted by dunsterville:

And this is after I've set all preferences to the right output, rather than the stupidly preferred and dreaded 'US Letter'.

The preference for US letter can be permantly changed in Mac OS10 for all applications. It's not clear to me if you've already done this or not. Open system preferences, select print & fax. In the printing tab select your default paper size from the drop down menu. No more US letter. Easy!