And the beat goes on

td4stage

Question

I have a HP 130nr plotter and have been having a problem with the drawing printing out maybe 1/8 or 1/4 of the whole then spitting the rest out as a blank page! This started in v11 and continues into v12 Designer! Does this happen to anybody else? My associate uses ACAD and it prints to the same printer flawlessly. I'd say over the life of this plotter I've wasted 2-3 rolls of paper...getting a *bit* annoying!

Any help would be appreciated!

Pat

4 answers to this question

Patrick

My thoughts are this looks like the information is getting truncated in some way, like the memory is not enough to process the job.

I had a problem with an old machine of mine and files would look to be processing on the printing side then just disappear. Turned out the hard disc didn't have enough space left to finish spooling the job through and just sent it into God knows were.

Freeing up some space on the hard disc solved it short term, but then I got a new machine with bigger hard disc so know such problems now.

This was an old HP1120 A3 printer.

A sure sign used to be was when I looked in the printer dialog box/spooler it would show two file sizes. The file size sent and a changing figure showing next to it, as the amount of file processed.

On the "dodgy" files (in other words big files)these would not appear, but of course without the dialog/spooler open you'd think it was processing away and only when no print appeared and the printer spooler was empty when you opened it and looked would you know....aaahhh.

Just a thought.

Alan

Patrick

I have the same problem with my Designjet 110plus nr. If I load it with more than about 7 A1 prints, it will just stop at some point - it seems quite arbitrary. These are A1 drawings printed from the roll. I now have to load one drawing at a time (I usually do 5 prints off each) otherwise it will freeze, and I have to shut it down and restart.

These printer models are wireless (shown by the nr suffix) and I am wondering if it is a lack of memory or buffer somewhere. One of the reasons I upgraded to a G5 iMac was to get more memory, so it can't be a lack of computer memory, and there doesn't seem to be a memory chip in the printer that can be upsized.

It's a real pain - I would like to be able to load up a whole job and just let it get on with it - doing drawing by drawing is pathetic.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would be delighted to hear them.

Regards

David W

Auckland NZ

G5 iMac, 1.5Gb RAM, OS 10.4.4

VWA+R 11.5

Epson Stylus Color 1160, HP Designjet 110plus nr

Have you looked at the baud rate & buffer? Set the baud rate to 9600 ... then test ... then up to 19200 . Wireless uses megabit baud rates and the iMac is extremely efficient at sending packets. So this may be a buffer overload issue more than anything else.

I suggest an USB/Centronix connector which will modulate the buffer flow rate to the speed of the serial port.