Printing and OS X using Designjet 600

RobinMM

Question

Using G4 1.25MHz, Vectorworks 10.5, OS 9 and Designjet 600 with old Mac 4400 print server using Microspot Graphic Pack software as interface.

Need to upgrade to OS X but been told that if I upgrade interface software to X-RIP from Microspot (removing 4400 print server)I will lose my "hairline" line weights.

Spoke to techie @ Nemetschek - told me problem solved in Vectorworks 12!! Very confused cause Microspot said still a problem.

Can I get around this if I upgrade to Designjet 500 or 800? And how will this interface with my Macs - HP site very vague???

PLEASE, please help - have come to a stop on back of this.

4 answers to this question

You can print to the Design Jet 600 from OS 10 using the built in print driver with OS 10.3.x or later. For the most part, you will not need MicroSpot with OS 10.3 and later. Either the print driver is built into the OS or you will use Gimp Print (which is also built into the OS)

The DesignJet 600 is not listed as a supported printer under OSX. This does not mean that it will not work. It might work by using a 400 or 700 series driver.

See this thread:

http://techboard.nemetschek.net/cgi/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=22;t=000463

You might also take a look at other threads under Printing, regarding types of printers that are compatible and/or recommended.

When I get a new plotter it will be an Epson. I am not confident in HP's commitment to the Mac. The 500 and 800 should be natively supported by HP drivers, but as you say, the website is vague.

I will say that HP tech support has always been good. It is a toll call to contact them but they have always been willing to help. Of course now that I use OSX, I have never needed to call them as my 455CA prints directly from OSX without HP drivers, (of which there are none).

Thanks for info. Will have a look at threads.

The DesignJet 600 is doing a great job in OS9 but really need to upgrade to OSX due to having to add new workstations and this is where my concerns lie. Using Microspot RIPX, Microspot insist that the line weights will increase: ie. no hairlines.

Is this a Vectorworks issue or the interface with the Microspot software.

Will buying a new plotter give me hairline weights from OSX using latest Vectorworks?

Thanks again - really struggling with a number of issues - could I dump Microspot software??