HP Designjet 800ps and OSX 10.4 Page margins SOLVED!

Ken White

Question

Well, after spending several hours on hold with HP, and some time talking with the folks at HP I as no smarter than when I started. However after some playing around I now understand how to get the print driver to behave in a predictable way....

The Problem: Page sizes/Print Area for HP 800ps. The default page sizes installed with the driver are for the size of the paper, but do not account for the hadware imposed margins of 5mm on the sides. and 17mm on leading and trailing edges. If you create a custom page size which is the size of the paper and has margins that match the hardware imposed limit, then the print area in VectorWorks is correct, but the drawing gets printed off center, and not all of the drawing gets printed.

The Solution: Create a custom page size that is the size of the paper (ex. 24in x 36in). In the Margins area leave the Top and Left set to 0.00 in (The driver starts printing/measuring from the top left corner of the print area not the paper.) Set the bottom margin to the total of both the top and bottom hardware margin (1.34 in), and set the Left Margin to the total of the Left and Right margins (0.40 in). This results in VectorWorks having the correct Print area, and the plot starts in the correct place, so all of the drawsing is plotted.

Nagging Question?: Why does the driver for the plotter not work like every other driver I have ever used. The user selects the size of the paper, and the driver automatically subtracts out any hardware imposed margins. If I were printing to a laser printer, I could go into page setup, select the printer, and paper size, and then go to set print area, select one page, and poof! I now have things set to the maximum print area - not so with the plotter driver. Why??

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet