RASTER NOT PRINTING

blimey

Question

Hi, Does anyone have a clue for me to solve the following problem :

- I've use an imported imaged (png) as background behind sections.

-I've got to printer, a A3 Ricoh laser and an A0 HPDesignjet500. When I send the print on the laser, it comes out perfectly. Then I try the HPDJ500 and the image doesn't print. I've got a big cross on top of a grey box...

-I thought first that it was a memory problem. so I tried to print it first in a pdf file. There again the raster doesn't come out.

any idea welcome... have been searching for hours... i'm getting pretty discouraged...

5 answers to this question

Hi!

The files print well without the png image. It also prints with the png image (that I use as a background) but excludes the image which is replace by a gray crossed rectangle.

This phenomenon is identical whether I do the real print (on the HP) or a simulation (using the Adobe PDF printer) to a pdf file...

The PDF file also prints the drawing and a gray crossed rectangle at the back instead of my backround... I don't get it...

The Ricoh is a postscript printer, it prints the image non postcript thought (I answer yes when VW prompt for non postscript printing).

I've tried printed postscript or non postscript printing when using the Adobe PDF printer... Same result big gray crossed box...

I've tried rasterizing the image... same result.

I'm currently running various tests. I've realized that the problem is linked to the size of the image.

If i scale the image by 0.5 it prints... yet I need it bigger. So it seems to be linked with memory but pdf uses my computer memory (I've got 2G ram and 80G hardisk...) so it can't be that? and the Ricoh prints it well without scaling it down... A3 is smaller than A0 though, so I've tried printed a A3 PDF... still gray box...

... I keep trying and trying... I just don't get it...

It sounds like a memory related problem if reducing the size of the image eliminates the problem. Even in your machine has lots of RAM, the amount of physical RAM may not be the problem. VW may be having trouble rending the image at the printer's/PDF's resolution.

How big is the PNG, both in pixels and bytes?

If you are using Photoshop, try reducing the resolution of the image (but not the image size) before importing it. Usually, the resolution doesn't have to be that high for an image to look great. Try half the # of pixel, hoz & vertically. If it prints, you at least have found the source of the problem.

Less likely to help, but you could convert the PNG to a JPG in Photoshop and then use the JPG as the background image.

I remember past discussions where it was stated that there is a maximum size that VW can handle. It is a pixel dimension, not just paper size.

You might be able to do a search on this board and find the info.

I agree with the others. Try a lower resolution image.