Gobo projector rendering issues

I am using the most recent versions of vectorworks, spotlight, and renderworks for PC.

The only time I can see the gobo projection rendered is when I have "Use shadows" unchecked in the Renderworks costom render settings. If it is checked, I just have my set.

And I don't actually have the gobo rendered with shadows off but a plain elliptical shape on the set where the gobo would be. I am not using a custom gobo or anything either.

Any ideas?

[ 06-20-2003, 03:37 PM: Message edited by: rubicund ]

I get the feeling I am writing to myself but still...

Alright, it seems that my instruments were in the way of the gobo projectors. If I delete the instrument after placing the projector, I get light and shadow. This is good except I would like to not have to delete my instruments to see what they would look like. I assume that I did something weird with my instruments so that they are no longer transparent. I'll see if I can come up with something-

I am still not seeing gobos though. If I have a gobo in place, a get a rectangle of light but no pattern. And I am still using default gobos so it shouldn't be the gobo itself. Any help?

Help!

It seems that no matter what I seem to do with the instrument, if I place a gobo projector atop it (so it uses that instrument's information), I only get light by removing the instrument.

Am I missing something? What is the grand theory about how to deal with gobo projectors and instruments? Should I have them in their own classes and simply make the instruments invisible when I render? That doesn't seem to difficult, but is it how it is supposed to be done?

Thanks-

As far as I can tell, you're bumping into one of the limits of Spotlight.

If you give a light object the same co?rdinates as the instrument, it will be placed inside the instrument, and as the instrument isn't open at the front, you won't see any light coming out of it.

You need to place your light object not on the same spot as your instrument. I always place it a bit lower.

This is actually one of the improvements I would like to see in an new version of Spotlight: instruments open at the front, automatically with a light object with the correct angle settings, that always projects a light into the scene, that can be given a gobo at any time. Of course, that would also imply that the 2D and 3D symbols representing the instruments would have to be focused on the focus point. This is not the case yet.

The current situation is not very logical, you have to make to many clicks to make simple things like lighting the scene happen.

Cheers,

BaRa

second that request. i've taken to editing the 3d symbols with a light object, but its a pain in the rear and impossible to change the color of the beam from one instrument to the next without multiple instances of the symbol for different colors