printing to epson sc1520

cadmando

Question

I have a recurring and persistent printing problem; frequently when I send a VW file to print on the epson 1520 the printer will run a sheet thru without printing and then the "out of paper" light flashes. Sometimes pressing "Load/Eject" and feeding in a sheet will allow the file to print after pressing the "Pause" button - other times that sequence will not work and continued use of the "Pause" & "Load/Eject" buttons will set the printer into a frenzy of shooting out sheets of printed gibberish (may be programming language). To stop this it is necessary to pull the cord on the computer turn off the printer and then restart computer; next I open the Print Center and delete the job and start over. This does not always work as outlined herein. It is most frustrating; anyone else experience this? Have any advise?

G4 - 1.2Ghz /.1200 Mb ram/ OS 10.2 /VW10.5 /Epson SC1520 with GimPrint Driver

3 answers to this question

cadmando,

Most Epson printer drivers run "on top of" the GimpPrint kernal.

If you're printing directly to the GimpPrint driver, you'll get unpredictable results (are your colors off as well, by chance?).

After you're sure you have the latest print driver from Epson, I'd recommend trashing the printer in Printer Setup Utility and then Add the printer again being careful to select the Epson driver. When properly setup, from the Printer List (in Printer Setup) you should see the printer name (Epson SC 1520, in your case) followed by "(1.xx)". It should NOT read: Epson SC1520 (Gimp xx)

Good luck,

quote:

Originally posted by cadmando:

I have a recurring and persistent printing problem; frequently when I send a VW file to print on the epson 1520 the printer will run a sheet thru without printing and then the "out of paper" light flashes. Sometimes pressing "Load/Eject" and feeding in a sheet will allow the file to print after pressing the "Pause" button - other times that sequence will not work and continued use of the "Pause" & "Load/Eject" buttons will set the printer into a frenzy of shooting out sheets of printed gibberish (may be programming language).

We get both these symptoms intermittently at one client's with an Epson3000 (the 1520's big brother) and Windows versions of VW10, so it's not an OS/GIMP problem.

The sheet of paper run through is fairly common, the multiple sheets of gibberish less so.

The only fix for the gibberish we have is to turn off the printer (for a few minutes) and then cancel the print job.

Canceling the print job will not help at all unless the priner has been turned off for a while