HP4454ca/VW11.5/OS10.2.3

Trey Hoff

Question

Need help getting my plotter to print. I've downloaded the gimp driver and I can select it. The plotter is connected to the directjet connected to the computer via ethernet cable. No network.

In the printer list: what item do I select?: advanced, appletalk, et.

If I choose IP then I need an address.

Please lead me through the printer setup. I feel stuuupid.

Thanks, Trey

15 answers to this question

Kevin, I seem to be stuck in the same place Trey was, except that I'm on OS 10.3.9 and am using a network router I have entered my Jet Direct EX's IP address (192.0.0.192) under IP Printing w/ Socket/Jet Direct selected. For Queue Name I have entered HP and the HP 455ca Gimpprint...

The printer shows up on my printer list, but then nothing happens when I try to print.

Do you have any idea what I might have wrong?

Welcome to the Forum! Let me see if I can recite this properly:

1. Printer Setup Utility

2. IP Printing

3. LPD/LPR, (Not Socket/HP JetDirect), If this does not work, then try the Internet Printing Protocol.

4. Enter Printer Address

5. Leave Queue Name blank

6. Printer Model: HP>HP Designjet 455CA - CUPS+ Gimp-Printv4.2.7

7. Click Add

8. Choose Show Info on the new printer

9. Give it whatever name suits you

Note that your IP Address of 192.0.0.192 seems a bit odd to me. I am by no means an expert here.

To find the IP Address, hold down the test key on the JetDirect, (around 10 seconds), then release. The printer should print two sheets. You may use letter size paper if you wish. On the second page will be the Address.

Let me know if this works or if you need more help.

Unfortunately, I'm still stuck. I tried both options listed in #3 above. I get some blinking of the activity light on the JetDirect (this is hopeful), but ultimately, nothing prints. Print Monitor indicates that it is attempting to connect to host..., and then that it is unable to connect to printer: Operation Timed Out

Now you have me wondering if the IP address printed by the print server is somehow messed up.

I would check the IP Address of your computer and see if it is similar to your printer address. If your computer is 192.168.1.200, then your printer should be something like 192.168.1.xxx.

You could use Network Utility, (in your Utility folder), to see if you can determine the IP Address using a routing table.

You could also log onto your router using your internet browser and take a look at the routing table.

When I have the wrong IP Address I get the same result as you are.

I would also check to see that your computer can communicate with other computers on the network. If not then you may need to reset your router. It should have a reset button or you can simply power down for a few minutes.

Sometimes I have to do this with my router.

Thanks Kevin.

Still no luck. I do have an AppleTalk connection to my older Mac, and I can still print to the 455ca from that computer thru the router. I reset the router anyway, but no change. I have also looked for other possible IP addesses on network utility, as well as in System Profiler on the older Mac (G4/OS9.1), but none of those addresses worked.

AAAAAAAAAAAH!

I am sorry to hear that. As I said, when I have a bad IP Address, the printer will simply time out.

This will sometimes happen during a power failure. When the power comes on, the router might assign a different IP Address to the printer.

I then have to delete that printer and set up a new one with the new IP Address.

The Network Manager Utility has a Ping Tab. You could try pinging the IP Address that you think is the right one for your printer. If it is not a valid address, then it will tell you.

Setup under OS10.4 is a little easier as it will test the IP Address as you enter the number in the Printer Utility.

Another thought... Be sure that you are looking at the second page that comes out of your printer when you press the test button.

I seem to remember some numbers on the first page that almost fooled me into thinking it was an Address. The IP Address is on the second page.

Hi Kevin,

After going thru the steps you described, I am led to the conclusion that my computer is not recognizing the 455 on my network, as there is no MAC/Gateway corresponding to the AD listed on the label on the back of the JetDirect box. Could it be that my router is blocking this? I would connect the Jet Direct straight to my computer, except that I no longer have a crossover cable, which I think is required for a direct connection. Any thoughts before I go get a new one of those? Do you know of a comparable utility in OS9.1 which allows the lookup of IP addresses on a network?

Thanks.

I am afraid that I am out of answers. By no means am I a computer expert. My knowledge is by trial and error.

My own setup is a Linksys router which is setup as a DHCP server. It dynamically assigns IP addresses. I did once have an issue where I had more devices than I had allowed for. Once I exceeded the range, it would not recognized the new device.

The solution was simple. I increased the range to accommodate the number of devices and everything worked fine. You might check this setting on your router.

I would suggest that you put a new ethernet cable between your JetDirect and the router and then see if it can be recognized on the network.

Beyond that I am out of answers. Perhaps someone more knowledgable on the subject can chime in here.