Focusing Instruments w/focus pts. on dif. layer

I have all of my instruments on their own layer which is 10' 1" above the ground and my focus points are on their own layer on the ground plane. My trouble is that when I place a focus point at 5' or whatever and it draws a beam, the focus point appears 5' above the instrument layer. If I show all layers, I can see the focus point at the correct spot in relation to everything but the beam is drawn to a place above the instuments--and this gives me an error message.

What do I have to do to get the focus points and beams to behave?

thanks

I am using 10.1 on PC. I was wondering about that.

In the Spotlight 10 manual it says, "Like lighting positions and instruments, focus points should be inserted on their own layer... Alternatively, it is acceptable to insert the focus points on the same layer as the scenic elements."

Like I said though, I am having trouble with instruments and focus points being on seperate layers.

Interesting.

What then is the easiest way (i.e. your method) of placing your instruments at the correct height? I was simply locating the layer they were on at a given height but that doesn't really work if the layer begins at the same height as the ground plan. I can come up with ways that work, but knowing what others have found easiest would certainly save me headaches.

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. It has been a crazy week here in the theater.

[ 06-15-2003, 11:36 PM: Message edited by: rubicund ]

Let me rephrase. What is the general organizational system used by most people out there? What layers are you typically using and what are you including on those layers?

You will have to forgive me since I am learning/doing this in a vacuum of sorts. There simply isn't anyone else around at the school here that is using spotlight. The only person who has really used vectorworks used LD Assistant and not spotlight.

thanks,

rub

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

You can insert focus points, lighting positions, and instruments on different layers, but I do not think they will account for the layer Z height. Try woring with a Layer Z's of 0 and setting the object's Z value.

[ 06-16-2003, 10:22 AM: Message edited by: klinzey ]