Batch Printing to PDF on Mac

Steve CAG

Question

I'm not able to get batch printing of sheet layers to work when selecting the "Save as PDF" option on the Mac OS Print window.

I get one print of the first file in selected list and none of the others. Sometimes there is a VectorScript error message and sometimes it just runs through the entire sequence without errors.

Is is possible create PDFs in this way?

I thought perhaps it was a windows thing, but with Acrobat having its roots in Mac I had thought surely it would be there in some form, especially since my Win version is 3+ years old. Curious. Serves me for sticking my nose in a Mac thread.

Kevin, I haven't updated Acrobat since version 5, but I can't imagine it being gone, perhaps relocated. Anyway, in V5 in the Distiller Properties is an "Adobe PDF Settings" tab -its in there.

As always, changes made through Page Setup or Print menus will only apply to those documents. Changes made through the Printers folder (or Mac equivalent) will set defaults for new docs.

Just upgraded from V11 to V11.5. Wheres the PDF batch print? I could batch print to pdf (using osx) with VW11 and then stitch them up to one pdf file with Acrobat. That was frustrating enough. But some one took that away. Not Funny. Going through all the post above but nothing seems to help.

Ha. While I was posting my reply I was trying the postscript method under the 'output option'. Somehow the output files I got was - the first file was a postscript and the rest were pdfs consecutively numbered. Tried it again and it works as above. Thinking of naming my first Sheet layer with a 0.

Export batch would be nice.......

I have had a huge amount of probs printing with VW11.5 and Acrobat Pro 7. I have had a number of problems using normal 'Priint' and 'Batch Print' commands at differing times.

1. No save file dialogue appearing.

2. If this happened, then either;

-a PDF was created under a generic name on the desktop

-a print file was sent to the PDF Printer, but then the print jobs would stop and I would have to delete them to get the PDF printer going again. (Not that it would be much use in this state)

-no print file would be created

After reinstalling Acrobat a number of times, finally today it is back up and running. I un-installed Acrobat (using the un-installer in the Acrobat folder). Downloaded the full disc Image updates (not through the auto-update in the app - unfortunatley it was about 180Mb download all up!), restarted, installed Acrobat, and installed the apps.

All is going well. In the 'Batch Print' command, a save window now comes up for each sheet. All works dandy. Hope this helps, and I hope you have broadband internet! Cheers

A new development. Doing a batch print for a large project I am working on with 5 others. We have over a hundred sheets in various drawings housed on a iMac G5 workstation. It seems the PDF Printer either works or is broken for different drawings. Very strange. Will run disc permissions on the iMac and see whether this solves the problem.

Nope - Problem still there. I don't understand. Maybe the file is somehow corrupt. Or is it a permissions things and they simply have not been repaired properly. There are real PDF printing probs with certain files. Anyone else had similar?

Am running Mac OS X.4.2 and VW 11.5.1

I feel your pain! I have had this work, then not work, then work again. Sometimes I thought I was losing my mind, as I was not able to always replicate my sucess.

I wish I had an answer for you. Moving to 10.4 has increased the printing problems all the way around. I have not attempted batch print under this new operating system.