why can't I print (epson 6600)

lawrence kline

Question

i seem to have run against a technological wall....I have been printing VW 10 on Epson printers up til now; suddenly (on a CX6600 Epson) Epson support is telling me their printers don't support either VW10 or any Postscript programs like Illustrator/Pagemaker etc.

If anybody out there is using a Mac with Adobe programs and VW, what printer do I need?

2 answers to this question

Lawrence,

We have excellent success with our Epson printers and generally use Photoshop/InDesign/Illustrator and VW on a daily basis. Their drivers are not Postscript-based, unless you buy their Postscript-RIP which only runs on a PC and supports a limited scope of their printers. Postscript happens to be a fairly efficient computer-to-printer language for vector-based data, but it's not the only way to convert what you see on the screen to tiny dots of ink. Photoshop only recently began to use vectors at all, and therefore benefits from Postcript relatively little.

The real question is whether you can get a good driver for the operating system/printer combo. We don't use the CX6600, but if Epson supports whichever OS(X?) you're running, you'll be able to print. If you're running OSX, you might also check out GIMPrint.