panther/VW 10/HP 800PS

peter dr

Question

for ages we plotted on a HP 650C, over MacPlot RAster and an old CPU to RIP the files from different MINICAD/VW computers over the network. our new HP 800 PS is amazingly s-l-o-w. not a network problem at all but sending a 12 MB VW drawing to the plotter (just getting it from a to b, no processing or plotting included) lastst for over 15 minutes. the plotter is configured by rendez-vous, IP plotrtring and we use the most recent driver included in the OS (not the HP package). we did the firmware update last week and no changes.

other problem when we specify a custom size drawing and plot it it simply spits out a blank sheet (hey but it's the right size) after three hours of numbers crunching. this plotter is an awful combination to VW! [Mad]

3 answers to this question

I do not have an 800, but do have a 455. I originally ran it under OS9 and using the HP supplied RIP.

I now run it under OS10 as I assume you are. Yes the plotter runs slower under OS10 than it did using the HP RIP. I have no choice as HP no longer writes drivers for this plotter under OS10.

Does HP not support the 800 under OS10? Do they not supply a driver or RIP for OS10?

What do you have set for the "Image Quality" in the Print Dialog?

We use the "Normal" setting on our 800PS and the quality is fine.

For us, with the VectorWorks resolution set to 300 dpi(Preferred), setting the HP driver to "Best" quality only slows down the spooling to a crawl.

I don't know what kind of drawings you plot, or what resolutions you require, but try experimenting with these settings and also the "Maximum Detail" checkbox for the best compromise between speed and quality.

Before our HP 800PS we had a DesignJet 230 and also used MicroSpot's Raster driver.

The HP driver takes some fussing with, but once we settled on the right settings, we feel the quality and speed are at least equal to the Raster driver if not better.

Also, we plot over AppleTalk, but I don't know if that would make the difference.

Best Luck,

Peter

we tried different printer settings (normal, best). since part of the drawings is in colour, with pictures we cannot compromise on resolution. our MacPlotRaster driven 650C printed fast 600 dpi and did a terrific job on that. other problem: some drawings turn out blank, but they also do when we make a print preview on screen (aka pdf dump). what is obstructiung vectorworks katie? and why does it take so long to spool a louse 10 Mb to the plotter?