VW 10.5.1 crashes with new printer on Mac OS X 10.3.7

R. Craig

Question

We just installed a new HP DesignJet 800ps 42" plotter on the network. However any attempt to print existing VW 10.5.1 files to the plotter cause VW to crash. (This happens from all our Macs which are running Panther 10.3.7 and VW 10.5.1 and have all updates applied.) We can get to the Page Setup pane from VW, but an attempt to select the 800ps as the desired printer causes VW to crash.

We've spent hours on the phone with HP engineers, uninstalling drivers, reinstalling, running permission repairs, etc. with no resolution of the problem. They finally gave up and concluded this was a VW since we are able to print from other applications to the 800ps.

Yesterday, we learned that by creating a new VW file and copying/pasting from an existing drawing to the new file allowed us to print without a problem!

Why is this? Surely we won't have to do this with all our existing VW files to get them to plot on the 800ps?

Any suggestions appreciated.

8 answers to this question

The instructions to uninstall a printer under Windows is usually included in their knowledge base regarding a specific printer make/model. If you can't find it there, I'm sure one of the tech people at HP will gladly walk you through uninstalling and reinstalling.

Dear R.Craig

So, do I assume that the reinstallation of the Printer did not do anything?

We have exactly the same set up as you (ie OS10.3.7 with VW 10.5.1 & HP 800ps) and all I want to do is plot from my Mac! I managed to uninstall the postscript files after speaking to HP but an uninstall on their download would be useful!

I am not a Mac user, and only have VW11 Demo version - so I can't print anyway.... But here's a "stupid" suggestion:

Can you reinstall/Install the "original" printer -the one you "use to have" before - configuring the "way it was" (No matter that you may not have the physical printer itsekd any longer)

Now, when you go to print, might it be possible, then to "select a different" print, and set the page up. Give that a try, and humor an old fellow.

OrgPlus would store certain printer info with the file. Then, if you installed a new printer, different name, same I/P address (or was it other way around??) Orgplus would crash.