Page setup not matching printout

Clinton

Question

We are using VW 11.0.1 and trying to print to both an HP DeskJet 1220C and an HP DesignJet 430-36. All Mac's are on 10.3.7

I have VW set to print "One Page"

The top and bottom 1" of the drawing are cut off on both printers on the actual printouts. The Page looks like it would print fine in VW (on the screen).

Please help!

[Eek!]

11 answers to this question

Go to the Page menu, Set Print Area. Make sure the drop down box has ONE PAGE selected - you'll need to scroll up to the top of the drop down to select it.

Anything outside of the gray print boundary box on the screen will not print.

That's exactly what I have been doing.

The Image on the screen shows the drawing inside the grey print boundry box but tha't not how it comes of of either the Designjet or the Deskjet.

Also, there are other choices in that One Page pulldown menu.

What is the significance of them?

I have been selecting Arch D there as well, but in the Print setup menu the better choice seems to be Arch D Landscape.

Clinton or Anyone,

I am on a Mac and printing with an HP Deskjet 1220c. I want have the page boundary (print area) shown in my VW file window to print correctly with margins I specify. I have my print area set to ONE PAGE with dimensions set to WIDTH: 18" and HEIGHT: 12.5" and I have my Page Set Up to 13x19 landscape mode thinking this will be able to print on a 13x19 sheet with 1/4" margins on top,bottom and right side and a 3/4" left margin for binding. I can't seem to make this happen. The printer margins are correct top and bottom (I believe because of the printer) but the printed area is clear to the left edge of the paper leaving a wide margin on the right. Is it true that I can't set my page margins with this printer? HP says the machine works best with Windows machines so I wonder about compatibility issues? Up until now I have just set my print area to the page size and simply not drawn in the margins I imagined to exist. Now I would like it to be more literal and accurate so that what I see within the page boundary prints correctly. Is there anyone out there in Vectorville who could shed light on this generally or specifically with regards to my printer?

Not sure exactly what your problem is. (More than one paragraph will help us read your post).

In page setup, you should be able to select your printer model. Then select the page size.

In VW, under Page>Set Print Area, you should see it set to One Page, and one block occupied. Sometimes you need to drag the block out and back in to set it to just one grid square.

Be sure that you do not have the box checked for Print Current View. This is under the VW tab of the print dialog.

The margins should be automatically set by the printer description. VW should be recognizing these dimensions.

As a side note; HP software has been problematic for me. I no longer use any HP software. My HP plotter is run using the built-in CUPS of OSX.

Thanks for your help, Kevin and sorry about the spacing.

I already had things set up as you suggest.

My problem is that my printed image is shifted clear to the very left edge of the printed page.

I don't know how or if I can set custom margins for my printer

I believe after reading your side note that the issue lies with the poor support for the Mac by my HP printer software (driver).

There seems to be a bit lost in translation from my Mac to my printer.

I'm sorry but I don't know about CUPS other than it stands for Common UNIX Printing System. Could you or someone explain if this would be relevant to my HP 1220c inkjet printer (not plotter) and if it is, how to impliment the System?

Thanks again for your reply, Bradley

Bradley, it doesn't quite sound like this is your issue, but on my HP driver there is a checkbox for "Inked Area" meaning it will shift the drawing to one corner so it can cut the page short and save paper.

If you're using sheets its typically very handy to see how different paper, orientation, or printers will adjust your printable area in relation to the full sheet (margins). Typically an inkjet can print closer to the sides than the leading or trailing edges.

If you haven't recently, it might be worth redownloading the driver from www.hp.com and installing anew.

Thanks, Delmer

Yes that is not my issue. I have also already installed the latest driver to no avail. My workaround is to shift my drawings and title blocks slightly aside from the page boundary line such that they then print acceptably.

It's either a communication issue or there is some dumb something I'm missing. Thanks again

PS When you said "on my HP driver there is a checkbox..." I thought that maybe there was some dialog in my driver but I have merely a list of page sizes to chose from.

There is one thing good that I can say for HP, and that is their tech support. They would stay on the phone with me for an hour and a half to resolve issues. The only downside is the cost of the phone call.

I looked on the GimpPrint site and it shows your printer as supported.

http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/p_Supported_Printers.php3

In fact I can find the print driver already installed in OS10.3.8 under IP Printing.

You migt try using this method and see if it helps. Install a new printer to your Print Center using Gimp and not using the HP driver.

Thanks for everyone's help. I'm now installed, margined,page oriented and printer driving my way down the road......bradley.

Additionally, Kevin, I have also had good support from HP although I didn't consult them on this issue. Very courteous and helpful and patient.

One does pay for consults (I think $39 US) if the product is beyond the warranty period. Still probably cheaper than outside tech consultation? Present techboard excepted, of course, which I greatly appreciate.