Sign in to follow this  
lswdw

pdf and printing

Question

can anyone tell me why the print area is different when i set the printer to acrobat distiller(pdf) and hp printer?

the difference is that when i set to acrobat distiller (pdf), the grey border maximizes to the edge of the actual paper size whereas when i set to my hp printer 1220c, the grey border shrinks. for example if it is 11x17, the print area would show as 10.58 x 16.38

is there any ways that i can set the margins of the pdf and the hp printer? i've looked everywhere in the acrobat distiller and hp printer preferences and i am not finding any margin settings.

any tips?

vw 11.0.1

xphome

hp deskject 1220c

acrobat distiller 5.0

4 answers to this question

the pdfprinter does not need any margins for the printer to hold on to the paper. All printers have different printer margins, some small, some big... pdfprinter has none.

you could make a custom page size for the pdfprinter that is the same size as your 1220c printer

In my version there is a checkbox to allow the PDF image to shrink to fit to page. I do not really care what margins are in the PDF itself. Just as long as the entire image prints on paper is what matters to me. My PDF drawings are created in "D" size. They print fine when emailed to the reprographics house as D size. I also print them in house on a HP 455 in D size or print them as letter size on a desktop printer. The program shrinks to fit the page to letter size of the desktop printer.

if you want the PDF to print at the correct scale do not use the "Shrink To Fit Page" This will scale the PDF file to fit on the printable are of the printer.

Good point. This is obvious going from D to Letter size. But one could inadvertantly change the scale slightly going from D size of one printer to the D size of another.