Occasional Postscript Printing Problem

Andrew Weyrauch

Question

I am running VW 11 on OSx 10.3.5

About half of my files send a 0/0 pages to our Xerox Workcentre and our HP LaserJet 4V if I print directly from VectorWorks. If I select the "rasterize print output" from the vectorworks print setting, I get a print. Printing from every other application works fine, including printing from a preview of the drawing.

From all this, I am presuming that there is a postscript printing problem in vectorworks. Has anybody seen this, or know of a solution?

4 answers to this question

It sounds like the printer is running out of memory, especially since you can see the entire drawing in Preview. Anything after preview that doesn't work properly - skewed print, missing objects, etc is related to the printer, not the application.

The file size of the VW document is not indicative of the print file after spooling. THe amount of memory in a printer is also not indicative of what size spool file the printer is capable of having.

I've seen 10 mb files in VW spool upwards of a gig because of the nature of the objects, textures, and a host of other factors.

In order for the printer to print a file, the file has to be converted into a file type the printer can recognized. Spooling is the process that handles this conversion. Generally, vector to postscript generates large files, much later than vector to raster. Most of your standard simple program such as word, works, etc print to raster format which reduces the spooled file size.

You have the ability to print to a raster format from VW - print as raster check mark option in the Print dialog box. If you print with this item check marked, and the print is sucessful, you definately have a memory related problem in printing.

[ 09-18-2004, 10:28 AM: Message edited by: Katie ]

Printing as raster doesn't produce the same quality of linework. This shouldn't be my only option. I saved a postscript file from vectorworks using the printer driver and it produced a 6.5mb file. Also, we have found that printing a file from VW10 works fine, but the same file doesn't print from VW11 when imported. This may indeed be a printer memory problem, but I believe something within VW11 is causing it. Is there a way to really check this?