Sign in to follow this  
Mark D Shermeyer

VW11 & macplot printing

Question

We are considering upgrading from VW 9.5.3 to VW 11. Since the MacPlot HPGL/2 drivers are only yet available in OS 9.2.2 or Classic, is it possible to install and use VW 11 in OS 10.3, and also plot VW 11 files from Classic using the MacPlot drivers?

5 answers to this question

I think the answer is yes. I used this technique for a while some time back, in my own transition from OS 9 to OS X. I subsequently discovered the GIMP PRINT drivers, which are free, downloadable drivers, many of which come already installed in OS 10.3.x. I eventually decided that it was important for my workflow to abandon OS 9 altogether, and I'm very happy about it.

Not having a copy of the VW 11 software, my question is how does one do this? Does it require two separate installations of VW 11--one for OSX and one for Classic? (This is how we currently do it with VW 9 & 9.5)

I think you are correct: 2 installations. But, Katie (or someone) might jump in and verify????

You can launch VW to open in classic - no need to have two installations, unless you are using a dongle.

If you are using a dongle, you'll need to install VW under classic so the dongle drivers install.

If you are not using a dongle, get info about the VW application and select "Classic" under Opens With. When you want to open it back in OS 10, go back and get info about the application and remove the check mark next to "Open with classic"