hp designjet 100 plus

gmh

Question

5 answers to this question

Correct, as long as the plotter is close enough to your workstation to run a printer cable.

There are supposed to be problems with cables beyond a certain length, around 10 or 15 feet, I think.

If your plotter runs well with a USB interface you can buy USB repeater cables. They use some of the USB power to amplify the signal along the way, and the manufacturers claim that allows the signal to go farther without problems.

But if you use a print server, it's a tiny thing either built-in or right next to the plotter via a 3' cable, and the network cable from the workstation to the print server can be any length.

I have two printers, one USB and one parallel, using Hawking print servers. They are about 2"x2" use a network cable and cost about 35 bucks each and work fairly well (the USB has crapped out a couple of times over the last year and I had to power it off and on). I use these because the printers are too far from my CPU.

Just a guess on my part, but I think the print servers from HP or any other expensive print server would have a fair amount of memory to take some of the burden off the host computer by spooling the print job(s).

usb is fast than a ethernet network which is what I am assuming you mean by getting the hp printserver option. i am not sure if on that model hp would give you a add-in ethernet card to the printer itself or just give you a external print server like a 300ex or something. Either way it works the same and the speed is the same. You can buy used externals on ebay. I have seen them for as low as $50 bucks. you could do this later on if you got more computers. Check with hp for the models of the external print server that would work for your model printer. print servers do not really have memory, they just communicate on the network, so print files do not "spool to the print server" per se, and as such the print file does not get off your computer any faster. some models of large format printers can take more ram or come with hard drives on them which speeds up printing. You might be able to add ram to the 100 but this only speeds up the printer coming from a pc computer. macs do not take advantage of more ram on large format printers from what hp has told me.