HP Designjet 130nr page orientation

marioscappino

Question

9 answers to this question

Mario; I don't have this particular plotter, but normally the page orientation is done in Page Setup. On my older HP 455CA, the HP software had the ability to rotate the C size sheet so that the 24 inches ran the width of the 24" roll of paper. This should be a printer or OS issue and not Vectorworks.

It is helpful if you let us know what operating system and VW version you are using.

Create a custom page size. Set it to be portrait and set the longest edge of the paper size to be the height and the shortest edge of the paper size to be the width.

YOu'll have to remember you created a backwards page size when you go to File>Page/Print setup. A portrait will really print landscape and landscape will really print portrait.

quote:

Originally posted by Katie:

A portrait will really print landscape and landscape will really print portrait.

Well, that is one way of putting it, but it is perhaps less confusing to think that in all A1 and larger printers the page is 90 degrees rotated from what one is used to with normal printers and that the print head moves 'up and down' the page, not 'left and right.

When I was installing large format printers en masse (OK, half a dozen or so...), I sticked a 'little boy drawing' image (a scan of Linus - not my compatriote L. Torvalds, but the Peanuts character, after whom the creator of Linux was named by his parents) on the printers to remind people how the 'little man' inside the printer sits.

Thanks Katie. Works great and it's a lot cheaper than HP's solution.

"Thank you for contacting Hewlett-Packard?s Customer Care Center for Macintosh. We received your inquiry regarding your 130 printer. The 130 driver that ships in the box with the printer does not contain a "rotate" command allowing you to rotate the image prior to printing. By default the printer will always print short edge out first. There is an optional RIP software available for the Designjet 130 that does have a "rotate" feature. The RIP software retails for $355.00.

That statement from HP says it all. It makes me sad to see how HP has become a second rate company. Page rotation is such a basic feature, yet they do not include it on their latest and greatest printer?

I bought the HP Deskwriter in 1989. It was the first inkjet printer. Before that, the choice was dot matrix or laser. It cost me $1,000 but I still have it and it still works though I do not use it anymore. It worked right out of the box and never gave me trouble.

I used to love HP, but now I do not trust their software. Mario, are you happy with the Designjet 130.

I don't have any problem with the 130 driver. Page rotation is an anachronism and requires an extra step when printing. Choosing the page orientation in the page setup dialog is more straightforward, consistent with other printer drivers and persistent.

Petri, Are you referring to Katie's method as being more straighforward? I hear you saying that you can accomplish the task by choosing the page orientation in page setup. I must be missing something. Doing so will affect the boundaries in my document. This is not what I want, nor what Mario is asking for.

A standard "C" print is 18" x24" horizontal or landscape. Chosing portrait mode will not work as it changes my document boundaries.

Printing a "C" print will yield a paper output of 24" x24". The rotate print button would change this to 18" x24". I do not see how you can acomplish the paper savings without Katie's workaround or a rotate button.

I have no idea what a "C" print is, but assuming that what you want is the same as wanting to print an A2 landscape drawing on A1 wide roll paper, yes, you do have to create a custom page size. Takes approximately 10 seconds. I have 5 printers (3 Epsons, 1 HP and 1 Brother and have gone through perhaps 10 others - including the original HP ThinkJet ca. 1984) and with all of them, the situation has been the same or worse.

The method is straightforward because when you choose the paper size, the document remembers it. With my limited testing with VW 11, each sheet layer even remembers its page setting, so you can just say Print and press Enter.