HP DesignJet 120

gmh

Question

I need to purchase a plotter that will allow me to plot 24X36 primarily B/W from VW on Mac platform. The HP DJ120 seems pretty reasonable but would like to get some feedback from people out there with experience on this plotter. Is the roll feeder a must?

Thanks in advance.

12 answers to this question

I would be sure that the software is compatible. I have found HP software for the Mac to be buggy. I have the HP 455CA (with roll feed). There is no HP software for OSX for this plotter. It currently runs fine with Gimp Print, but runs slow.

When I ran it under OS9 with the HP software, it was often a headache. HP seems to view the Mac as an afterthought.

We just got the HP 130nr yesterday. To my delight (and almost surprise), the software is OK at least with OS X - there is also an OS 9 version, but I have not tested it yet. So, Kevin - you may need to reconsider your general opinion... (and yes, I know exactly how bad the 455CA is!)

Whether one needs roll feed is a somewhat complex matter: if you almost always print on one medium OR if you have long print runs (either drawings or copies), roll feed is definitely better, but if every other print is different OR you don't print much, the benefits are less significant. Location of the printer also matters - if it is next to your workstation (as it would be without network connection!), sheet feed is not too bad.

quote:

Originally posted by LarryAZ:

Petri,

Are you using Verson 11 with your 130nr? And what verson of OSX are you running?

Thanks,

Larry

Sorry to have been away...

VW 9 and also VW 11 Viewer (in fact, to test the configuration) with OS X 10.3.3 & 10.3.4.

Ahh, yes: also with OS 9.2.2, (The plotter comes with an OS 9 driver - non-PS, fully functional! Fancy THAT!)

[ 06-18-2004, 11:05 AM: Message edited by: Petri ]

quote:

Originally posted by Ricardo:

Petri

I?ve read in previous posts that the now discontinued designjet 120/120nr could not produce good quality black CAD lines in normal paper, what can you tell us about the 130nr? is it as noisy as the 120?

thanks

Ricardo

Black lines seem OK to me on normal bond paper. I have no idea how noisy the 120 is, but the 130 is quite quiet except for a click for each stripe. Does not bother me.

I just got my 130nr setup. I'm running the latest version of OSX and VW11. Everything worked perfect first time. Print quality seems to be fine. The roll feeder is really easy and cuts a perfect size D. On the noise the fan is a little noisy but the printing seems pretty quiet. This iMac is so quiet anything seems noisy compared to it.

Anyway, I'm happy so far. Thanks for the info.

Larry

Hi to all hp130 users. I'm interested in all of you who seam to have been able to use the 130 without problems. I've got the 130, not the 130nr and had to get additional software off microspot to be able to print from VectorWorks (other applications are fine) - something to do with the 130 not supporting the vector file format.

How are you managing to make it work without additional software?.

I'm using WVA11 and OSX 10.3.4