Printing to HP 755CM takes too long

JRMastera

Question

I run Vectorworks Architect 10.5.1 on G3 and G4s. When we send a plot to print either out of Vectorworks or from Previewer or Adobe Acrobat, we find that sending the file from the computers to the Plotter (over and ethernet network 10/100/1000) takes forever. Recently an E size sheet took 50 minutes to plot (and I really didn't have that much information in the drawing). It sits in the status window "processing job" for much too long - usually 30 minutes. When it transfers the file over to the printer, it prints at normal speed. Can you help me speed things up?

Also, is there away to use HPGL2 files out of Vectorworks? These move so much quicker.

4 answers to this question

VectorWorks can print to HPGl2, but asking your operating system to is the challenge.

It's not done easily under OS 10, and usually requires additional ripping software.

Depending what is in the VW file may be driving the print speed. If you have alot of hatches, patterns, and complex polys, the longer the spooling process will take. Hatches and patterns are the hardest things for the print driver to spool.

Thanks Katie, but I need some solutions. You identified some problems, but I don't want to use Vectorworks (or any Cadd software for that matter) without using intensive graphics to make our drawings and renderings clear and exciting. So what ripping software do you suggest? Or what does Vectorworks offer to help its contingency print these tough to print things?