100% templates @ Epson 7600

Travis

Question

I'd sure like to output long templates (VWA limits to 125 inches) at 100% for our shop to work with. Template prints fine on our standard 22x34 print size, but leaves border gaps between pages even when margins are set to zero.

I set up a custom paper size (23 x 120); everything looks good on screen but won't print. After clicking print, the timer/info box just flashes across the screen, a print file is created that the driver chews on for 30 seconds or so and then gives up.

Any ideas?

4 answers to this question

Actually, the PC limits print page lengths to 125 inches.

A mac is based on pixel resolution. This is explained in a few different places in the print section of this message board. A low print pixel resolution can print a much longer page than 125" and much longer than 1200 dpi prints on a Mac.

When you get the problem with the driver giving up, open the print center and look to see if it reports a open -ps stream error or something like that in the print center. You'll need to immediately switch to the print center after you click OK in the print dialog.

Thanks, Katie, for being redundant just for me.

In addition, I learned from Epson that OSX places a limit of 80" in any direction on "System-managed" printing. I set the page size to 79" and everything printed just fine. Epson also advises that a 3rd-party RIP, that bypasses the System, might be a solution.

I'll do a little further investigating, but 79" will suffice most of the time.

Ricardo,

I could not be more pleased with both printers. Epson pays a great deal of attention to the Mac market (unlike some other printer/plotter vendors we've dealt with) because they see the two (Mac and Epson) as the ideal graphics solution. The drivers have so far performed flawlessly under Panther, tho there are a few tricks to getting colorsync to work correctly. Print quality is so much better than any plotter as to not be a fair comparison at all. We run all our "plots" at 360dpi: they're sharp and crisp with accurate line weights. At full photo quality (2400dpi on both printers), you need a loupe to find dots.

You'll do well to hook up with an Epson ProGraphics dealer--we use PictureLine (www.pictureline.com) here in Salt Lake City.

By the way, I've called Epson tech support two or three times with questions and always been able to speak to a knowedgeable "live" person.

Best of luck -Travis