Driver for Mac OSX and HP DesignJet 500

nosocks3

Question

Can anyone suggest a driver to print VW10.5.1 on OS 10.3.2 to an HP DesignJet 500PS printer? HP's drriver will not be ready until July at the earliest.

We print over an ethernet LAN using a G-3 running OS 9.2.2 as a server for the printer. This was the HP suggested setup.Since upgrading to OS 10 and VW 10 we get post script errors and odd prints. HP has no other ideas!

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

7 answers to this question

Nosocks3

Forget HP - the drive was supposed to be out last October. HP gives none of us Mac users the time of day.

It has been posted heremany times that the GIMPrint packages for OSX available from Gimp Print site:

http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/MacOSX.php3

plus a 500/500ps driver from http://buymelunch.com which solves the many issues with the 500/500ps designjets. I felt abandoned by HP and until I was able to use the above mentioned drivers, was running OS9 on a Bronze laptop as a print spooler to resolve the HP driver incompatibility with OSX using HP tech supports "work arounds".

I use the GIMP-print drivers under OSX 10.2.8 currently and it works really well. It also enables printing with other applications to the plotter. Photoshop (Large photos, renderings, etc.) Adobe Illustrator (Banners, signs, etc.)

Try them out.

I had the same problem with a 455ca.

I downloaded the Gimp Print package and it worked very well (on OSX3.3). How to proceed :

-install Gimp print

-retrieve the IP of theJetDirect EX plus (or other) by printing the 2 test pages.

-add a printer in the printer list with the alt key pressed

- select Appsocket/HP Jetdirect

- select the right printer in the list

- type the IP adress of the JetDirect after "socket://"

- That's it. I can now print on the 455CA even very faster than with the old HP RIP on OS9...

Note : it didn't work on OSX2.8 for me

quote:

Originally posted by SYLVAIN:

I had the same problem with a 455ca.

I downloaded the Gimp Print package and it worked very well (on OSX3.3). How to proceed :

-install Gimp print

-retrieve the IP of theJetDirect EX plus (or other) by printing the 2 test pages.

-add a printer in the printer list with the alt key pressed

- select Appsocket/HP Jetdirect

- select the right printer in the list

- type the IP adress of the JetDirect after "socket://"

- That's it. I can now print on the 455CA even very faster than with the old HP RIP on OS9...

Note : it didn't work on OSX2.8 for me

If you want more details go on

http://www.rosegill.com/Bullpen/Printing/PlottersInX.html

there is a lot a things

[Wink]

[ 03-31-2004, 08:40 AM: Message edited by: SYLVAIN ]

Thanks to everybody for posting on this thread. After a torturous couple of days with a deadline looming, I was trying to get my HP DesignJet 500PS to plot from Panther and VWKS 10.5, I scanned this thread and went to the Gimp Package site, 500 driver update and USB updates, and they work....no speedy, but they work.

Install the driver first, then the USB updater to that it can 'discover' the driver when setting up the printer.

I'm having problems installing the set up properly. I've downloaded the latest GIMP package and 500 driver, but the 500 driver doesn't show up in the list of drivers to choose from in the printer model set up list when I try to add the printer.

What am I missing?

I'm connected to the printer via a PC network

Steve